Azerbaijani: Xanım sındıranın səsi çıxmaz.

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by seitt, May 1, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings

The grammar of “Xanım sındıranın səsi çıxmaz.” seems to be quite different from the grammar of the Turkish of Turkey.

Is the idea that the lady who breaks something says nothing, or that nothing is said by anyone?

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    Hi, Simon.
    Is there any chance you can provide some context? I don't think the sentence makes sense as it is – that is, unless xanım sındırmaq is some street slang in Azerbaidjan.

3. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    The grammar is very similar to Turkish.

The one who assumes a humble attitude towards the wife remains silent. ("sesi çıkmaz" literally means "his voice does not come out") ; Direct translation would be: The voice of the one who assume a humble attitude towards the wife does not come out.

Turkish would be: Hanım sindirenin sesi çıkmaz.

I think sındırmaq (sindirmek) here probably means "assume a humble attitude". We usually use "alttan almak" in Turkish".. sindirmek also means "to accept that the person is right..

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  4. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Much obliged to you both.

Re context, I'm afraid that's all I have. It's just something my friends told me. They themselves were convinced that it meant that if anyone else but the lady of a house breaks a plate etc. they get told off, but if the lady herself does it, no one says a word.

Indeed, if “sındırmaq” means “sindirmek”, things are much simpler grammatically. However, I was told by my Iranian friends that it meant “kırmak”. Still, my friends are from Orumiye (Iranian West Azerbaijan), which, they themselves admit, is a lot less Turkish (including linguistically) than the area around Tabriz (Iranian East Azerbaijan).

The Ötüken Türkçe Sözlük does give “kırmak, parçalamak” as one of the meanings of “sındırmak”, describing it as Ottoman dialect.

5. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    Here are the meanings of sıntırmaq:

http://www.turuz.com/sozluk.aspx?dict=arin&q=sıntırmaq

Yes sındırmak also means kırmak, parçalamak... But the sentence doesn't make sense then.

http://www.seslisozluk.net/?word=sındırmak&lang=tr-en

If that is case, it would mean:

The voice of the person that breaks the wife does not come out.

If it were something like: "Hanım sındıranda~sındırdığında ses çıkmaz" it would mean "when the wife breaks, no voice comes out (everybody stays silent)

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  6. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, indeed you make a very good point.

7. cecillian

cecillian Senior Member

Tbilisi
    Georgian
    Hi,
    But as far as I know this is a kind of metaphor meaning the one who has more power[here xanim] even if does the wrong [ sındırmaq] will confront no objection. Xanim means wife but here it means even further than a usual wife. It means the master of a house, a Lady.

8. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, excellent.

9. Gemmenita

Gemmenita Senior Member

Azari
    :thumbsup: Also azaris say “Xanım sındıran kabın səsi çıxmaz.”

10. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many many thanks, truly most helpful indeed!

Just a thought - might it not be better to spell the word for dish with a Q? I.e. Xanım sındıran qabın səsi çıxmaz

11. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    So, how would we say this in Turkish?

12. Gemmenita

Gemmenita Senior Member

Azari
    You're most welcome! :)
    You are right about spelling, since I know both
    versions ( Azari and Turkish) I mixed unconsiously the spelling and wrote " k" instead of "q" ! :p

Hanım kıran kabın sesi çıkmaz!:)

13. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    It means "The voice of the cup that breaks a lady does not come out."

Hanım kıran kap : the cup that breaks a lady.

How does the cup break the lady here? :)

If the sentence was something like "Hanımın kırdığı kabın sesi çıkmaz" (the noise of the cup which is broken by the lady is not heard), it would mean a lot. But in this form it sounds wrong.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  14. Gemmenita

Gemmenita Senior Member

Azari
    Hanım kıran kabın sesi çıkmaz!:)[/QUOTE]

Haklısın! You're right. "Hanımın kırdığı kabın sesi çıkmaz" , was the first sentence coming to my mind to write for you in #12, but it seemed for me a kind of direct explanation of the expression rather than an idiomatic equivalent, so I looked for it here to give you a better and more exact equivalent! (although it seemed odd to me, too, because of having azari structure in " Hanım kıran" :eek:)

And I should add that "kap" in turkish doesn't mean here "cup" like in "cup of tea" but in general any kind of objects like "plate" or "kâse" (with the same meaning in azari) ;)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013