1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

başıma gelmeyen kalmadı; yüz bulmak

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by Sinis_smooth, May 13, 2013.

1. Sinis_smooth Junior Member

Greek
    Hello, there!
    I have a personal letter that has to be translated from Turkish to Greek and then to German...Anyway, there are some points that I don't get, so I would like to ask for some clarifications.

So, he says "İstanbul'da başıma gelmeyen kalmadı. Arkadaşımın amacı beni işe aldırmak ve ona yakın olmamış benden yüz bulmayınca bu patrona konuşup beni işten 2 günde attırdı..."

OK, he doesn't use proper punctuation, but still...We know that he went to Istanbul and for some reason he had to leave again.

You can't believe what happened to me in Istanbul :confused:...My friend's intention was to take me to the job ve ona yakın olmamış benden yüz bulmayınca :confused::confused: he spoke to the boss and they fired me in 2 days from that job"????

Thanks in advance!

2. jcpjcp Senior Member

Turkish/Turkic
    İstanbul'da başıma gelmeyen kalmadı. Arkadaşımın amacı beni işe aldırmak ve ona yakın olmam, benden yüz bulmayınca bu patrona konuşup beni işten 2 günde attırdı..."

başıma gelmeyen kalmadı (idiom): (literally) there was nothing left that did not happen to me.
    yüz bulmamak (idiom): to give somebody a cold shoulder (someone did not like someone).

now let me try to translate into English:
    In Istanbul, there was nothing left that did not happen to me (every trouble found me ??). His intention was to make me get the job and to be near me. When I gave him a cold shoulder, he spoke to the boss and got me fired from the job in two days.

I hope it makes sense. but, I am not 100 % sure about the translation. Because Turkish is full of idioms. It is more difficult to translate idioms into another languge. It is one of the most difficult characteristics of Turkish. Probably, idioms are much more used in everyday life in Turkish than any other European Language.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  3. Sinis_smooth Junior Member

Greek
    So, it was our friend that rejected the guy from Istanbul...! Thank you very much!