1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Baş / kafa

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by FlyingBird, Sep 27, 2013.

1. FlyingBird Senior Member

Makedonca
    What is difference between 'baş' and 'kafa'?

Başım ağrıyor=my head is aching
    Kafam ağrıyor=my head is aching

so i don't see any difference between those two sentences.

teşekkürler :)

2. murattug Senior Member

Turkish
    is there any other word in english that describes "part of the body above neck"?
    there is another word in turkish: kelle
    an example: a turkish person giving order to waiter "bize çay getir/bring us tea" and waiter ask "kaç tane?/how many?" and a reply came "kelle say/count heads"

3. murattug Senior Member

Turkish
    I thought again
    kafam karıştı = I am confused
    "başım karıştı" is not same meaning
    başım belada = I am in trouble
    "kafam belada" is not any meaning

there is no rule when use "baş" when use "kafa"

as you can see my english is not good
    especially to make english sentences

I apologize for that.

4. Arabus Senior Member

United States
    Arabic-Aleppo
    The original difference may be simply that baş is Turkic, and kafa is Arabic.

In Arabic, kafa does not mean "head" but means the back of the neck. It is not unusual for Arabic words to have slightly different meanings in Turkish. It is possible that there was (or still is) an Arabic dialect that called the head kafa, and the Turks (or Iranians) may have took the word from that dialect.

5. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    The Turkish kafa might not be related with the Arabic meaning at all.

It might be related with "thinking", "catching and containing ideas that are swimming in the sky" aspect of our head - brain.

I mean it might be related with Turkic words "kof" & "kap" & "kapmak".

Of course we don't have an etymology for this head meaning but we use kafa when talking about the intelligence aspect of the head and we never use baş for that.

6. Arabus Senior Member

United States
    Arabic-Aleppo
    Yes it is true that the Arabic connection seems a bit weak, but this is still the strongest available connection. The Turkish etymology that you suggest sounds a bit fanciful to me.

In my opinion, an Indo-European etymology is also worth considering. Compare with Greek kephalē and Latin caput. However, this dictionary prefers the Arabic etymology.