Baby Girl

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by dmacsully, Feb 5, 2013.

1. dmacsully New Member

I am working on a fiction story in which the father Asian American, Japanese to be specific. In my story he has a daughter that he often calls "baby girl" as a term of enderment. I thought it would be a unique addition to the story if he called her that in Japanese (as a nod to his heritage). I've found how each word would be pronounced (and written in Japanese) but I was wondering if that is how it would be said or if there is a phrase that would mean something similar.
  2. Arui Kashiwagi Senior Member

Unfortunately there are no equivalent terms. Calling your kids or partner by certain nouns (baby, honey, sweetie, sunshine etc.) is not a common way in Japanese, so you should not translate them directly.

Instead, we have several suffixes that imply a relationship between the speaker and another person. I think the best & the most common way to show endearment in this context is to add "-chan" after her first name or nickname.
    e.g. My little niece's name is Saori, and we often call her "Saori-chan" or "Sā-chan".
  3. dmacsully New Member

Thank you for the information. I wasn't certain and your information helped me out a lot.

(By the way, if you hadn't put that English wasn't your native language, I'd never have known.)
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013