Bachillerato o Licenciatura

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Greg_W, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Greg_W

Greg_W Member

Southaven, MS
    English
    I have read the various forum posts regarding the translation of the various educational degrees. I have one remaining question, however. Is "Bachillerato" an appropriate translation of the English "Bachelors Degree?" Should that rather be translated "Licenciatura"? If I do translate it "Licenciatura," will that convey an idea that is not included in the US concept of a "Bachelors Degree?"

2. Carrie2 Senior Member

Spain
    English, UK
    You're right, 'Bachelor's Degree' is 'licenciatura'. 'Bachillerato' is the course/exams taken in the last years of school before university. In England the equivalent is A Levels, I'm afraid I don't know what the US equivalent is.

3. coolpurpleything Member

Granada, España
    English - England
    A "bachillerato" is the equivalent to English A-levels, completed before you go to university, not a degree. I'm pretty sure a "Licienciatura" is the same as a bachelor's degree, a licienciatura seems to mean the same thing as my British bachelor degree, it's the standard qualification at university. Hope this helps!

4. Hidrocálida

Hidrocálida Senior Member

5. melasa Senior Member

Seattle, USA
    English & Spanish, USA born
    Hi,

Would this translate into high school or college in English, for the United States.?

I.e. , which one would you use if you had to interpret bachillerato?

6. testoduro Senior Member

Español(de España)
    Bachillerato is high school (at least in Spain). Título de bachillerato = high school diploma.

7. melasa Senior Member

Seattle, USA
    English & Spanish, USA born
    And does anybody know the equivalent in Mexico?