1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

bacione and abbraccione

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Giuan, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Giuan New Member

Spanish USA
    Hi,

I have been sending and receiving email's from an Italian friend. Sudenly my friend is ending the emails, with 'un bacione', 'un bacione grande, grande' o 'Ti mando un abracio'. How may I interpret these frases?, as just a friendly way to finish an email? or as a way of flirting?, I appreciate this friend a lot and I do not want a misinterpretation to cause a problem betwen us.

Thanks,

2. IkHouVanPulcino Senior Member

Italian
    Well, those are normal ways to end an email when you write to a good friend. I don't know if there's something else, but I can say I wouldn't get it from those sentences, they sound pretty normal and natural to me :)

Simona

3. dylanG3893

dylanG3893 Senior Member

CA
    United States
    Well, bacione means "big kiss" and even then she stuck a 'grande' on it making it even more. But don't ask me if that's flirting or not; this is a language forum ;).

4. Giuan New Member

Spanish USA
    I agree with you that this is a lanaguage Forum, and it would be difficult to determine if these words were meant to flirt or not, but I hope that you agree with me, that the meaning of the words in the dictionary might vary depending on the culture. So, maybe my question should have been.

Is it perfectly OK, to finish an email with, "un bacio", "un bacione", "bacini" or "un abbraccione" between friends in Italy?

5. houellebecq

houellebecq Senior Member

Italy -- Italian
    Yes, everyone does so :)
    No erotism implied!

6. JasonTopal New Member

english
    What about when non-native italian speakers use the words " bacio", " bacione", "cara" at the endings and beginnings of facebook messages? Isnt there a clear implication of flirtation when we talk about non-natives (ie: people who have only been speaking italian for 3 years max.).

7. AlabamaBoy Senior Member

Alabama, USA
    American English
    Jason, there are lots of threads on this subject (just search for them, or search for "ti voglio bene") There are also cultural forums to address issues like this. However, trying to get inside the head of an Anglophone writing in Italian would be very difficult. They may be flirting, or they might be aware of the Italian culture. Both male and female friends will close their emails to me with such phrases, and I don't give it a second thought, but when they say "dear" or "hug" in English, then it feels weird, like my elderly aunt writing to me. I think 3 years is plenty of time to be acquainted with the Italian affectionate way of writing. If I had to bet, it would be that they are not overtly flirting.