1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

backpacker

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Casquilho, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Casquilho Senior Member

São Paulo, Brazil
    Portuguese - Brazil
    Here is a challenge, guys: how can I say "backpacker", following the structure of Latin? I know it will probably be modern Latin and it is ok.

I mean "backpacker" as conjugating the ideas of "backpack" and "traveler"; I think viator or peregrinator translates the last, and I've found sacciperium as an approximated correspondence to "backpack".

Can you help me?

2. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    The question really is, what do you want to say?
    mantica is a bag that was regularly carried on the back or over the shoulder.
    A traveller in the ancient would naturally have a bag, so that to speak of travelling with a bag on your back would be unnecessary as it would be understood.

3. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Viator pedester?

4. Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    sarcinifer?

5. Casquilho Senior Member

São Paulo, Brazil
    Portuguese - Brazil
    wandle, I would like to convey this idea: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backpacking_(travel) - in Pt we say "mochileiro" and "mochilão" (from "mochila") for "backpacker" and "backpacking" respectively.
    If it's possible to construct a single word in Latin for that, all the better, I don't mind if it be a neologism.

Scholiast, I like your sarcinifer, but what is the root?

6. Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    sarcina = (military - but not exclusively) baggage - shoulder-borne.

-ifer as in signifer, crucifer,indeed Lucifer.

7. Casquilho Senior Member

São Paulo, Brazil
    Portuguese - Brazil
    Thank you! I think sarcinifer peregrinator express the idea.

8. Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    saluete et iterum!

sarcinifer peregrinus might be a tad neater.

Σ

9. Casquilho Senior Member

São Paulo, Brazil
    Portuguese - Brazil
    Thanks to all!

10. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    I think that before starting a translation process one should decide what is the purpose of the translation. Do we want to translate the word as a sum of elements or as a meaning? Sarcinifer conveys the meaning of a person carrying a bag on the shoulders, but is this really the meaning of backpacker? Does it mean anybody that carries a burden on the shoulders? Are for instance the Sherpas carrying the luggage of tourists in Himalaya backpackers?

11. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    Well said, Ben Jamin. That is why I asked the question in post 2.
    It would help to have an English sentence containing 'backpacker' to show the intended meaning.

12. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    I think that the essential meaning of a backpacker is a traveler that wants to travel using little money, usually at the expense of comfort. The traveler may or may not actually carry a backpack.