backpacker

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Casquilho, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Casquilho Senior Member

São Paulo, Brazil
    Portuguese - Brazil
    Here is a challenge, guys: how can I say "backpacker", following the structure of Latin? I know it will probably be modern Latin and it is ok.

I mean "backpacker" as conjugating the ideas of "backpack" and "traveler"; I think viator or peregrinator translates the last, and I've found sacciperium as an approximated correspondence to "backpack".

Can you help me?

2. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    The question really is, what do you want to say?
    mantica is a bag that was regularly carried on the back or over the shoulder.
    A traveller in the ancient would naturally have a bag, so that to speak of travelling with a bag on your back would be unnecessary as it would be understood.

3. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Viator pedester?

4. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

sarcinifer?

5. Casquilho Senior Member

São Paulo, Brazil
    Portuguese - Brazil
    wandle, I would like to convey this idea: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backpacking_(travel) - in Pt we say "mochileiro" and "mochilão" (from "mochila") for "backpacker" and "backpacking" respectively.
    If it's possible to construct a single word in Latin for that, all the better, I don't mind if it be a neologism.

Scholiast, I like your sarcinifer, but what is the root?

6. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

sarcina = (military - but not exclusively) baggage - shoulder-borne.

-ifer as in signifer, crucifer,indeed Lucifer.

7. Casquilho Senior Member

São Paulo, Brazil
    Portuguese - Brazil
    Thank you! I think sarcinifer peregrinator express the idea.

8. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

saluete et iterum!

sarcinifer peregrinus might be a tad neater.

Σ

9. Casquilho Senior Member

São Paulo, Brazil
    Portuguese - Brazil
    Thanks to all!

10. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    I think that before starting a translation process one should decide what is the purpose of the translation. Do we want to translate the word as a sum of elements or as a meaning? Sarcinifer conveys the meaning of a person carrying a bag on the shoulders, but is this really the meaning of backpacker? Does it mean anybody that carries a burden on the shoulders? Are for instance the Sherpas carrying the luggage of tourists in Himalaya backpackers?

11. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    Well said, Ben Jamin. That is why I asked the question in post 2.
    It would help to have an English sentence containing 'backpacker' to show the intended meaning.

12. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    I think that the essential meaning of a backpacker is a traveler that wants to travel using little money, usually at the expense of comfort. The traveler may or may not actually carry a backpack.