1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. queenclaudia New Member

Buenos Aires
    English, UK
    Hola todos,

Alguien sabria que seria la traduccion de "Baile del Rebozo" en ingles? Es un baile en Puerto Vallarta en Mexico, pero ni idea de que significa el nombre... Muchas gracias.

2. MissFit

MissFit Senior Member

The Rebozo Ball is an annual fundraiser for a women's organization in Puerto Vallarta called Associacion Feminil Vallartense (AFV). Is that what you are looking for?

3. loladamore Senior Member

Zacatecas, México
    English UK
    A rebozo is a 'scarf'. I wouldn't translate the name of the dance - the dance of the scarf doesn't sound very good! Perhaps you could leave it as the traditional Dance of the Rebozo? Unless you refer to the event, in which case, The Rebozo Ball, as MissFit says.

4. queenclaudia New Member

Buenos Aires
    English, UK
    Ahaa, I will investigate The Rebozo Ball... I'm not sure if that's what it is, could be. Thank you to both of you ... :)

5. Edwin

Edwin Senior Member

Tampa, Florida, USA
    USA / Native Language: English
    Claro que no tiene nada que ver con Bebe Rebozo, el amigo cubano, famoso de Richard Nixon. :)

6. loladamore Senior Member

Zacatecas, México
    English UK
    Hahahaha! No, I don't think so! :D

7. Soy Yo Senior Member

USA
    EEUU - inglés
    I agree that it may be preferrable not to translate...but if necessary "Dance of the Shawl" or "The Shawl Dance" might be alternatives to "scarf".

8. loladamore Senior Member

Zacatecas, México
    English UK
    Shawl sounds much better! I hadn't thought of that. I had only come up with 'wrap', but 'wrap dance' wouldn't do at all. It brings up all kind of unwanted associations from 'rap' to dancing burritos!

9. Soy Yo Senior Member

USA
    EEUU - inglés
    Also could be understood as "lap"... (I didn't say that.) I believe I'll delete this message in 2 minutes.

10. loladamore Senior Member

Zacatecas, México
    English UK
    LOL. :D
    That would definitely fall into the category of unwanted associations, what with rebozos being associated with female modesty!