bailemos / bailemonos (command?)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by képi, Jul 2, 2009.

1. képi

képi Senior Member

CA, USA
    English, USA, and some Spanish, Mexico and French, Canada
    I have a question. I know the correct positive imperative form of "bailar" is "bailemos", but if I want to say "let's dance", why is there no "nos" at the end? If you're asking just another person to dance with you, shouldn't there be a "nosotros" in there?

Thank you for your help! :)

I pray I didn't break any rules with this.
  2. Cebeta Senior Member

España - Castellano y català
    Hello Kepi.

The implicit "nosotros" you are looking for is the "-emos" of "bailemos".
    You cannot say bailemonos because the verb is not bailarse. And there isn't a reflexive meaning either.

Hope it helps.:)
    And please, correct my English.
  3. Pernando Findeo Senior Member

But "Bailemos" is imperative and, if you are asking someone for dance, you could say: ¿Bailamos? or "Vamos a bailar", and, as Cebeta said, with the subject "nosotros" implicit.

Un saludo.
  4. VivaReggaeton88

VivaReggaeton88 Senior Member

Santa Ana, Costa Rica / New York, NY
    US/EEUU; English/Inglés
    De acuerdo.
  5. virulea86+ Junior Member

If you want to translate "let's dance" the spanish form is only "bailemos"

it's also right if you say "bailemos nosotros" if you don't want to hide the pronoun.

it's not possible to say "bailemonos", because in this case, the verb would be "bailarse" and besides it would be an action that you make for yourself. the translation in english could be like: "be danced" or "get danced", something that doesn't make any sense in my opinion. :D
  6. képi

képi Senior Member

CA, USA
    English, USA, and some Spanish, Mexico and French, Canada
    Wow. I don't know how I missed that, but thank you all so very much for your help! :)
  7. Golfoto New Member

Spanish - España

"bailemos nosotros" is never said in Spain.

¿Bailamos? or ¡Vamos a bailar!. To ask someone to dance: ¿Bailamos?. ¡Vamos a bailar! would be better used to encourage someone to dance.

I guess it depends on the country of your audience.