baking a coated tube

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by jess1z1, Oct 15, 2012.

1. jess1z1 Member

mexican spanish

I'm working with a text about PEG tubes (percutaneous endoscopic gastronomy) and naturally there's a list of risks that could happen when using the tubes on patients. Two of the items on the list read

coated tubes not baked the same day

coated tube baked less than 1.5 hours

Nothing else is mentioned throughout the text about baking a tube and I'm not sure what it means exactly. I can't find a process description anywhere online.

2. sergio11 Senior Member

Los Angeles and Buenos Aires
    Spanish (lunfardo)
    For what I saw in a few Google hits, the coating of tubes and catheters seems to be applied by a baking process. I could not find more details, but someone with more time in his hands might be able to. If that were the case, if that is what they are talking about, you could translate "horneado."
  3. LuzmaPerez Senior Member

México, Español mexicano
    Not sure either, but I'm going to paste here some information that could be related with that "baking" of tube coatings (from, which suggest "curar/fraguar/secar" might also be used:

...Articles may be dipped into the above dispersion, preferably 1 to 3 times, each time drying the coating for at least 15 minutes at room temperature. The coatings may then be air-dried under ambient humid conditions overnight followed by further drying at 60° C. for 1 to 2 hours. The cure time varies...

...After each layer of coating is applied, the surface is dried. This may be accomplished, for example, by air drying or by warming the surface in an oven. The composition is preferably dried at room temperature followed by drying at about 50 to about 60° C. for about 3 to about 4 hours.