baking soda / baking powder

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by The Barefoot Contessa, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Hey to all:
    I am trying to bake some oatmeal cookies according to the recipe in an American cookbook. How would you translate "baking soda" and "baking powder" into Spanish? I want to go to the grocery store today and am not sure what to buy.
    Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
  2. Fernando Senior Member

Spain, Spanish
  3. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
  4. Phryne

Phryne Senior Member

New York City
    Ojo, Nic!

Como dice el "hilo" anterior, "levadura" es "yeast". (Yeasts constitute a group of single-celled (unicellular ) fungi ... source wikipedia)

baking powder = polvo de hornear (there are several formulations; all contain an alkali, typically sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), and an acid in the form of salt crystals, together with starch to keep it dry. source wikipedia)

baking soda = bicarbonato de sodio/soda/sosa

saludos :)
  5. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Ohh. ¡Hay que decir a Mike!

¡Gracias gf!
  6. SAGal New Member

San Antonio, Texas, USA
    USA/Mexico Spanish
    I seem to remember something like "espauda" for baking powder. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
  7. la_machy

la_machy Senior Member

Hermosillo, Sonora, México.
    Español de Sonora
    Two years late but, yes. It is ''espaura''.
    It´s funny you've asked for such a word because it is supposed to be a regionalism from Sonora according to this site

8. A huevo Member

American English
    Well, a few years later, I thought I'd let you know that I agree with you two. SAGal, my family is from San Antonio also, and that's how I've always heard it too. There are a lot of uniquenesses with the Spanish spoken in Texas. That's interesting that it's said the same way in Sonora, because I've talked to several people from other parts of Mexico and they did not know what "espaura" was. Also, my family says something like "salarete" for baking soda, and I have never heard anyone say this besides in San Antonio. Have either of you heard of anything like this?
  9. lilith2025 New Member

Hello,I too know baking powder as ESPOUDA and Baking Soda as Salarete. I believe that is a TEXAS lingo. I am from San Marcos, and my family from the central/south part of Texas and these were the only words I knew concerning these products until I started speaking to people from Mexico that had no idea what Salarete and Espouda were. They refer to them as: bicarbonato (baking soda) and levadura (baking powder). As stated, I believe its Tejano talk.
  10. estranged New Member

Backing soda = Bicarbonato, also Bicarbonato sódico
    Backing powder = Levadura. You'll find as "Royal" brand.
  11. aloofsocialite

aloofsocialite modrageous!

San Francisco / Oakland, CA
    English - USA (California)
    "Levadura" en sí es "yeast". "Baking powder" es una levadura química, también conocida como "polvo de hornear".
  12. Janis Joplin

Janis Joplin Senior Member

Espauda (in my town) or espaura, come from a product named Ace powder which is baking powder.