1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  2. WARNING: The forums will close for maintenance for around 20 minutes starting at 9:30am US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 3:30pm in most of Europe).

Baltic languages: push and pull

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by Setwale_Charm, May 18, 2008.

1. Tere, Sveiki and Labas!!!
    I would like to know how exactly to say or rather write: Push and Pull (like on doors) in Latvian, Lithuanian and Estonian. Anybody to help me there?

2. halfminded

halfminded Junior Member

Estonian, Estonia
    I can only give you the Estonian version:

PUSH= LÜKKA

PULL= TÕMBA

(I for some reason tend to do the opposite...;))

3. deine Senior Member

Lietuva
    Lithuania - lithuanian
    In Lithuanian it would be:

Push - stumti
    Pull - traukti

4. Thank you both. Anyone for Latvian?

5. valdo Senior Member

Riga, Latvia
    Latvia, Latvian
    Hallo, Setwale Charm....
    In Latvian:

push - stumt, grūst
    pull - vilkt, raut

Atā,

6. So which of the pair are normally used in Latvia?

7. valdo Senior Member

Riga, Latvia
    Latvia, Latvian
    If we talk about those indications on the doors, then "grūst" and "vilkt"....

8. Liels paldies par palīdzību.

9. valdo Senior Member

Riga, Latvia
    Latvia, Latvian
    Ņem par labu...!!!

10. neonrider Junior Member

Vilnius (Lazdynai)
    Lithuanian / Lietúvüü
    Lithuanian "vilkt" means "to drag, to pull while on the ground". Usually almost no one pronounces the "i" at the end of stumt, traukt. It's as if it was some kind of Breton language, it would be spelled as: to stum, to trauk.

11. DeepTouch New Member

English-USA
    Estonian is not a Baltic language, it is Finno-Ugric, having very little in common with Latvian and Lithuanian.

12. neonrider Junior Member

Vilnius (Lazdynai)
    Lithuanian / Lietúvüü
    Estonia and Finland are Baltic countries. They both are also Northern European, Finno-Ugric and Eastern European countries. One could say that Italian, Hebrew and Algerian Amazight are Mediterranean languages and they would be correct in a way, but American English can't be called a Pacific language though. You could not say that Estonian is a Balt language though.

13. DeepTouch New Member

English-USA
    Labas! In American English the call Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania "Baltic countries", while Finland is never classified as either "Baltic" or "Eastern European", but rather as a "Scandinavian" country. However, as far as languages are concerned, "Baltic languages" in American English means a subset of Indo-European languages that includes Lithuanian and Latvian along with related languages such as Old Prussian etc. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltic_languages), and while Estonia is referred to as a "Baltic" country, its language is never called "Baltic" (sometimes, rarely, it is refereed to as "Balto-Finnic").