1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

bankruptcy - "quiebra" or "bancarrota"

Discussion in 'Financial Terms' started by incaprincess, Jun 13, 2013.

1. incaprincess

incaprincess Senior Member

Guatemala/USA
    USA, English & Spanish
    Hi. I am trying to figure out if I should use 'quiebra' or 'bancarrota' in this context.

MANDATORY DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION FOR BANKRUPTCY CASES <--- Here, I would use "casos sobre la quiebra"

and

The bankruptcy law requires any lawyer you consult with to provide you specific
    information about the bankruptcy process, the types of bankruptcy available to you, and the
    availability of credit counseling as an alternative to bankruptcy <--- in all these underlined incidents where 'bankruptcy is used', should I use "bancarrota"?

Thank you very much for your help.

2. Ayutuxtepeque

Ayutuxtepeque Moderador

San Salvador, El Salvador
    Español salvadoreño
    Hola Incaprincess:

Si bien las palabras "bancarrota" y "quiebra" son sinónimos, lo cierto es que en algunas situaciones suena mejor una que la otra y esto no es porque la otra sea incorrecta, sino más bien por la costumbre.

En tu caso, lo de "bankruptcy cases", en mi opinión, suena mejor si vos la decís como "casos de bancarrota".

Lo de "bankruptcy law" yo lo diría como "ley de bancarrota", lo de "bankruptcy process", podés decirlo como " proceso de quiebra". Finalmente, en lo de "as an alternative to brankruptcy" podés ocupar tanto "bancarrota" como "quiebra".

Saludes:).

3. incaprincess

incaprincess Senior Member

Guatemala/USA
    USA, English & Spanish
    Esto me ha ayudado como no te imaginas. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!