Barak O Bamah

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by davelaneward, Mar 7, 2013.

1. davelaneward New Member

Hi there, I don't know any Hebrew, but I'm watching this documentary which is suggesting that the Hebrew for "lightning fall from heaven", would be translated as "Barak (or Baraq) O Bamah"

Here is the video, this assertion is made right at the beginning
    <<link to video removed>>

He is postulating that the bible verse "I behold satan as lightning fall from heaven", would have been spoken as "I behold satan as baraq o bamah".

I can find "Baraq" means Lightning, and "Bamah", means "high place", (cannot find any reference to "heaven"), but I have no idea about the O or U or whatever.

So, I came here to ask people who would know.

Is Satan Baraq O Bamah?

Thank you
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
  2. trigel Senior Member

English - US, Korean
    Barack in "Barack Obama" is an African name originating from Arabic barakah "blessing" which shares the root b-r-k with Hebrew, which is different from the b-r-q root which is the one used for "lightning".
    (See for more).

"o" in Hebrew means "or".

You can do this etymological divination with many names out there. And I'm sorry to put it so bluntly, but "Is Satan Baraq O Bamah" isn't a language question and thus is outside the scope of this forum.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  3. davelaneward New Member

Thanks for your reply. I know this theory requires an adulteration of his name, but nonetheless if it were correct phonetically it would still be interesting.

Can "Baraq o(or u) Bamah", mean "lightning from heaven"?
  4. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    Well, if his name were pronounced Baraq O Bamá it would mean in Hebrew "A lightning or a stage". This way though it means absolutely nothing. Certainly not "Lightning from heaven"
  5. davelaneward New Member

Thankyou. They are talking rubbish then, i thought as much.