1. brayatan Senior Member

Chile, Español
    Hola, si el pasamanos de una escalera/balcón es handrail en inglés, ¿Cómo le digo a la baranda, refiriendome al resto de la estructura, sea metal, vidrio, etc?

contexto: Las barandas hacia este espacio son en cristal templado con pasamanos en madera barnizada...

¿Es eso el banister?

algo como en la foto

http://www.alumworld.cl/baranda1.jpg

Saludos y gracias

2. goodoldave Senior Member

Missouri USA
    English - USA
    In the US, the entire structure shown in your picture is called a railing.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  3. brayatan Senior Member

Chile, Español
    Ok, so is it accurate to say it is a tempered crystal railing with varnished wooden handrail?

Thanks

4. goodoldave Senior Member

Missouri USA
    English - USA
    If I were describing it from your picture, I would say:
    It is a stainless steel and tempered glass railing with a varnished wood hand rail.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  5. mochilero

mochilero Senior Member

London
    UK English
    In the UK, I think that could be called a banister if it also went down the stairs.

6. goodoldave Senior Member

Missouri USA
    English - USA
    In the US, the banister is part of a staircase, but it refers only to the top part (the hand rail portion). Is it different in the UK?

Best Regards,
    Dave

7. mochilero

mochilero Senior Member

London
    UK English
    Technically, the banister is one of the upright rails supporting the handrail, but here in the UK, most people use the word to refer to the handrail itself. An example: "He slid down the banister".

8. goodoldave Senior Member

Missouri USA
    English - USA

There's a little difference. The terminology I'm used to is that the upright rails (spindles) are called balusters and the top hand rail the banister.

Best Regards,
    Dave