1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

barba lunga

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Isapaola, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Isapaola Senior Member

Italian Italy
    Here I am again with my questions. I am sure you'll find the right solution, as always.
    This is something I can't translate properly. In this case barba lunga doesn't mean a long beard, but just what you see on a man's face if he doesn't shave for two days. What would you tranlate "scusami, ho la barba lunga"? Asked about that I answered I would tranlate "Sorry, I didn't shave this morning" but I am still curious to know what do you call, for instance "una barba di due giorni".
    Nice Sunday to you all

2. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Are you growing a stubble?

3. peter pann New Member

london
    england english
    Probably 'a couple of days' stubble'. For example 'he had a couple of days' stubble on his face'.
    Peter

4. Isapaola Senior Member

Italian Italy
    Thank you Paul and Peter. Never heard stubble before. Probably it is just because I have always met clean shaved men! Thank you, iIll make a note of it. It sounds strange, anyway, that if you look up "barba" in a dictionary you don't find stubble. Or am I using unreliable dictionaries?

5. Panpan

Panpan Senior Member

Sawbridgeworth, UK
    England, English
    Stubble was fashionable a few years back (not with me though!). Among the yuppies, it was called 'designer stubble', see here
    Panpan

6. Isapaola Senior Member

Italian Italy
    Thank you, Panpan, also for your exaustive link. Now I know a lot about it. I like stories behind words!