Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by Linnets, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Linnets

Linnets Senior Member

Hi all.
    In an older version of the Wikipedia page about the manticore, a user added the purported Greek name for the creature, written Baricos. Later another user added a sort of Greek "re-trasliteration", i.e. Βάρἰκος, with an odd ψιλή in the middle of the word. Possible correct spellings of the word could be Βάρικος, Βαρίκος, Βάρυκος, Βαρύκος, Μπάρικος... Do any of these words exist in Greek? My (Ancient) Greek dictionaries do not contain anything similar to that except for βαρύκομπος, an adjective used by Pindar meaning "loud-roaring" (of lions).
    Best regards and thanks in advance.
  2. sotos Senior Member

3. sotos Senior Member

Well, in Greece there are places and surnames "Βαρικός" and a word that is rarely used in relation to a certain type of soils or terrains. It means the muddy soil, the swamp. It seems to be a dialectal variant of thε more common "βούρκος".
  4. FacelessJanus New Member

As far as I can see, Baricos was not made up. However as far as I can see it does not come from Greek but from Persian. And the creature as such though related to the Manticore, comes from the Earlier Middle Persian Martyaxwar, The Latin Mantichoras does come from Greek, but the Greek used an erroneous pronounciation of the original Persian name.
  5. karabalino New Member

The name by which the legend of the Manticore entered the Greek language, was Μαντιχώρας (masculine). The word does not mean anything, it is just a greconization of the persian word Martyaxwar, meaning ''man-eater''. If there could be a possible exact interpretation of this word in Greek, this would be Ανδροφάγος.
  6. karabalino New Member