basterd or bastard ?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Jean Emile, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jean Emile Senior Member

French France
    Hi everybody !
    I wonder why the title of Tarantino’s last film is “Inglorious Basterds” and not “bastards”. Is it an American spelling or is there some other reason ?
    Jean Emile
  2. It's a completely non-standard spelling.

Tarantino has decided to spell it wrong deliberately for some sort of artistic effect.

You'll have to ask him why.

3. iconoclast Senior Member

english - anglo-irish
    Actually, it's all misspelt as "inglourious basterds". (I saw a news clip on it yesterday, and expectations seem high.)
    Last edited: May 22, 2009
  4. johndot Senior Member

English - England
    I expect the title has been spelt in that fashion because it demonstrates how, in the film, a few people go through the mangle. Perhaps.
  5. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    Forum Rules are clear about the need to look up words in dictionaries before starting discussion threads. A look at a few AE dictionaries, including WR's own, should provide the answer about whether it is an "American spelling".
  6. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    That title is taken, so a new movie has to use different words.
    Spelling them differently seems to be enough.
  7. Jean Emile Senior Member

French France
    Hi !
    thank you for your explanations and especially for Panjandrums very detailed one. I hadn’t even noticed that it was “inglourious” instead of “inglorious”. French newspapers, even the specialized ones, write “Inglorious basterds” quite commonly.
    By the way I apologize for having infringed the “rules of the forum” by asking if it could be an American spelling. I confess having had a look only in the OED and in the Merriam-Webster before asking. I should have asked : “Is it a Tarantinian spelling ?”
    Jean Emile
  8. south_paw New Member

English - American, Californian
    Good idea except that titles, at least in the US cannot be copy written. There are plenty of film with the same name whose productions have nothing to do with one another. Tarantino is famous for ripping off other films so no doubt he was well aware of the other Inglorious Bastards. There has to be another reason...
  9. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    "Ungamely euphermisms"

There's a fine line between "ripping off" and "paying homage", whether in titles or in movies themselves :D
  10. spatula

spatula Senior Member

English - London (Irish ethnicity)
    This is correct. For example in recent years there have been two high-profile Hollywood films entitled Crash (Paul Haggis 2004 and David Cronenberg 1996). I think south_paw is right, it's probably Tarantino's way of acknowledging another film - but not having seen either I could only speculate as to whether in this case one is relevant to the other.
  11. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    I just thought it was so he could advertise a swear word.
    I see this week or last week something has happened where it can't be advertised anymore, now the film is just called "Inglourious" now, for some reason they've taken out the basterds part, I thought people still thought it was too close to the swear word and complained (backing up my original view of the motive for the name change; glad I read this thread and find out the other information)

So that kind of backed up my view that the mis-spelling was to avoid the swear word.
    I know how film titles can be, I read about the long search a film company had to go through to find a family with the surname "Focker" because of its similarity to "Fucker", only when it was confirmed to be a real surname would the allow the film to be titled so.
  12. south_paw New Member

English - American, Californian
    Yeah I think that's an entirely different forum regarding if Tarantino pay homage or rips off other films. :)

Hmm interesting theory...

Funny story when Meet the Fockers came out Universal had a day at Universal Studios Hollywood in which families with the last name "Focker" could come for free. There were hundreds who showed up.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.