1. gaitana New Member

Cadiz, Spain
    England English
    I frequently here in Cadiz the term "bastinazo", I don't know if it's spelt correctly but it sounds like that. I kind of understand it to mean that a situation was really fabulous or really awful, the truth is I'm not quite sure.

The closest word I've found is "bastonazo", which is a blow with a stick or a beating, but I'm sure it sounds like they say "fue un bastinazo".

Any suggestions?

2. jivemu Senior Member

Spain
    Spain / Spanish
    My suggestion:
    Write bastinazo in Google, and click on Search. You'll find the answer:) (the first result)

3. Yyrkoon

Yyrkoon Senior Member

Valencia
    Castellano-España
  4. gaitana New Member

Cadiz, Spain
    England English
    Thank you very much for your speedy reply, I followed the link and see that it says something very big, good or rude. I'm still curious what the roots of the word are and how it could be translated. But you've answered my main question.

Ah, I followed another link and see that it comes from "bastina", the name of a fish. No more queries now.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2010
  5. Yyrkoon

Yyrkoon Senior Member

Valencia
    Castellano-España
    I think that it´s just slang from Cadiz, about the roots ask your friends, about the translation I suppose that there is not.

6. jbachelor Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    English - USA
    Basically, it means QUE GUAY... how cool in Andalucía. I´m guessing it comes from BASTO (grosero), and adding -azo to something generally adds emphasis, or means a lot.

BTW, this video is really funny... It´s a quest to see how Sevillanos speak, and one girl uses the word BASTINAZO:
    * Moderation note: links to YouTube are not allowed (rule 4). Thanks.
    Saludos!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2010