basurero = Refuse/rubbish/trash/junk collector?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by malmagro, Dec 28, 2012.

1. malmagro

malmagro Junior Member

Jaén
    Spanish, Spain
    I have been searching in the forum, but I haven't found anything. I want to know if there are any differences in the words showed in the title. Do they all mean the same thing? Do they have different connotations? Which of them is more used among British English speakers?

If I have made any mistakes, please correct me. Thanks in advance!

2. SuperScuffer Senior Member

Nerja, Spain & London
    English - GB
    Without knowing what you think they mean in Spanish, its difficult to tell you whether they are correct or not. In BrE if you mean the council employees who empty the bins/collect the rubbish at night, they are known as "bin men" or "rubbish/refuse collectors". Trash is not normally used in BrE. A junk collector sounds like someone who collects junk, much like an art collector collects art.

3. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    Agreed. "Junk" refers to the quality of something, not necessarily to whether it has been thrown out.

US usage on the other words is somewhat different.

4. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod, I say, Moderator

Arizona
    American English
    What are you trying to say in Spanish?

5. malmagro

malmagro Junior Member

Jaén
    Spanish, Spain
    I'm sorry I didn't specify it. When I opened the thread I thought of a "refuse/rubbish collector" as a "basurero", the man who empties the bins at night. I had never heard "bin man" before. Is it most common than "rubbish/refuse collector" in BrE? It sounds easier to pronounce to me.

Thanks for the explanations, I didn't know that "trash" isn't commonly used in BrE. I have noticed that "junk" doesn't necessarily mean "basura", but that was the translation that I thought about when I was watching The Sopranos and a character used it (she said something about a "junkman").

6. Pakuito Junior Member

Sevilla, España
    Spanish / Spain
    I studied it last month in my English language course. I was told it is 'dustman', but my teacher said he never heard that before so I guess that word is quite British (my teacher is from San Diego, CA).

7. greenheyes Senior Member

Spain
    British English (Cheshire)
    In Br. E. we would use dustman or binman.

8. donbeto

donbeto Senior Member

Vancouver (Canada)
    Eng (Canada)
    Por aquí decimos garbageman para los trabajadores que recoger la basura de su casa (una vez por semana tipicamente).

En la oficina, por la noche, se dice janitor.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  9. Pakuito Junior Member

Sevilla, España
    Spanish / Spain
    Pero el 'janitor' es más como un conserje o un portero de una finca, ¿no?

10. donbeto

donbeto Senior Member

Vancouver (Canada)
    Eng (Canada)
    No exactamente. As veces se llama "custodian". Se refiere a alguien que limpia el edificio, incluso la basuro, lavar los pisos etc.