1. SALGUERO Junior Member

anybody can tell me if I can use bath and bath in the same form.
    please send me same example if there is any difference.
    thankyou and bye bye have a good day
  2. Nocciolina Senior Member

I need to take a bath, I am going to bathe.
    Originally bath was the noun, bathe the verb. Bathe seems to be slipping out of use, bath is now also used as a verb. To be safe I would say use bath. It is much more common to hear 'I'm taking a bath' to I am batheing or I am bathing.
  3. gary.cook Senior Member

UK English
    The only context where bathe is still in use is as a transitive verb, especially applied to a thing/part of the body rather than a person

Bathe the wound in iodine
    Bathe the cloth in the solution
  4. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    Hola Salguero,

Bienvenidos al foros!

Bath is always a noun.

She took a bath.
    He gave the baby a bath.

The verb bathe takes both transitive and intransitive forms.

gary.cook explained the transitive form, above.

While "I'm going to take a bath" is more popular, you can still use bathe in its intransitive[/i] form. It's a bit archaic, I will admit, but still in use.

"I'm going to bathe."

"She bathed in a tub full of rose petals."

"My cat spends her days bathing in the sunlight."

"They bathed in the sun."

So, I disagree with the others about bathe not being used in an intransitive form. It does still exist, although perhaps not as much in spoken English as in written, or literary form.
  5. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Gen: Good examples! :thumbsup:

Who said it wasn't used in an intransitive form?
  6. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    Hi Venus,

I was referring specifically to gary.cook's post, below:

As I stated in my previous post, I don't believe this to be true.

I'm sorry Nocciolina, this is not correct. One cannot say:

"I bath myself," or "I'm going to bath."
    bath is used as a noun object in "I'm going to take a bath."

Edit: After reading sendai's posts, this is perhaps an example of one of the many difference between AE and BE English!
  7. sendai

sendai Senior Member

Midwestern US
    FYI, that's not true in American English. For us, bathe is the verb and bath is the noun. I never hear people here using bath as a verb.
  8. sendai

sendai Senior Member

Midwestern US
    I hear things like that all the time from British and South African speakers. But it's true that Americans don't use it that way.
  9. Nocciolina Senior Member

I bath myself in baby oil.
    I hear 'bath used' as a verb all the time:
    I couldn't bath myself, either, and needed help to get in and out of bed.
    Who was the retard that approved this film, so that I can go to his office and
    tear his guts out and bath myself in his blood?
    I can shave myself and I can bath myself.
    I’ll bath myself and decide what to wear.
    I brought down the galvanize tub that my Mother used to bath myself and my brother in when we were small.
    verb, reflexive
  10. EmmaPeel Senior Member

Toulouse, France
    France - French
    Hi nocciolina,

You are RIGHT

Bath is also a verb but it seems to be common only in certain areas, especially Britain.
    If to bathe is better to use because it is correct in all english languages:
    the woman bathes in the lagoon (to bathe)
    But you can also say:
    I'm going to bath
    The child should bathe every day (to bath)

11. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    I guess this usage has just not made it to the US, unless there are some other AE speakers here who can vouch for its creeping over our borders.
  12. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod, I say, Moderator

American English
    I'll vouch for Nocciolina on this one -- all of my Canadian friends use "to bath" as a verb, not "to bathe", as my American friends do.

A note on pronunciation: "bath" as a verb is pronounced the same as its noun form; "bathe" is pronounced (in the U.S.) with a long "a" like in "way", "lathe" or "baby".

13. SweetMommaSue Senior Member

USA/American English
    Well! It just goes to show that you never know when you're going to learn something new about your own mother tongue! I had no idea one could use 'bath' as a verb! Offhand, I don't remember hearing at all up to this point. For me, bath has always been a noun and bathe the verb. We always talk about sunbathing (pronounced with a long a and a 'th' as in 'the') and the sunbathers.

Very interesting! Great thread question, Salguero! Oh--WELCOME to the forums!
  14. jacinta Senior Member

USA English
    I will also vouch that I have never heard bath used as a verb. Take a bath, but bath myself? Sounds pretty strange to me.
  15. morgana05 Junior Member

Hi there

in the UK we never say I bath myself, we say "I HAVE a bath every month - whether I NEED one or not. We use bath as a verb in 3rd person EG, I bath the baby at bedtime.
  16. morgana05 Junior Member

I meant to say we use it as a verb when refering to a 3rd party
  17. Mr. Chaz

Mr. Chaz Senior Member

United States - English
    We may be archaic here in the Deep South (USA)...but we use bathe as a verb and bath as a noun.

I have to bathe now. I have to take a bath now. (same meaning: bathe verb; bath noun)

He is bathing. He is taking a bath. (bathing is pronounced with a long a).

She is going to bathe the baby. She is going to give the baby a bath. (same meaning: bathe verb; bath noun).

We also sunbathe....

The th in bathe is different from the th in bath I'll let one of the phonetics guys tell us how they are pronounced. :D
  18. morgana05 Junior Member

Here in UK we use "bathe" to sunbathe, (long A) and bathe - as mentioned before in this thread to "clean" a wound.
  19. HeatherR Senior Member

New Brunswick, Canada
    I have to agree with Nocciolina and fenixpollo re the use of the verb 'to bath' in Canada. Nocciolina has given a number of good examples of how 'to bath' is used here. In fact, I think I will bath now and then head off to bed.

Buenas noches a todos.
  20. nikvin Senior Member

UK/France English/French/Spanish
    I would agree that bath as a verb is BE and bathe AE, however , when referring to the previous examples of the woman in a lagoon, I would still find it more common for bathe, to be the verb in BE.
    To bath, I feel is use for immersion in water in a receptacle called a bath
    to bathe for immersion in other liquids ( or the sun!!) and other receptacles!
  21. Johnjorde New Member

Mid-Atlantic Region of the U.S.-English
    I just bought a sign in a nick nack shop in Seattle that had the following quotation, "Save water bath with a friend." When I pronounced the word "bath" as "bath," the owner corrected me and said it was pronounced "bathe." I didnt't think I was wrong and I suspected my pronounciation came from growing up in Maryland, where you can catch Elizabethan English grammar from time to time. Am I wrong?
  22. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    USA: English & Spanish
    I have heard the same expression as "Save water. Take a bath (or shower) with a friend".