1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

BCS-ča će ti to

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Milivoje, May 18, 2013.

1. Milivoje New Member

USA
    Spanish-English
    The phrase ča će ti to, is what I remember my father often telling me as a child growing up in south america. Usually when his patience was exhausted from my asking for something.
    I imagine he was asking me what do I want it for but not sure.
    I'd be grateful for any comment or explanation

2. slavic_one

slavic_one Senior Member

Prague, Czech Republic
    Croatian (štokavski, jekavski)
    Yes, it means "What do you need it for?/Why do you need that?" on Croatian chakavian dialect.

3. Milivoje New Member

USA
    Spanish-English
    Hvala ljepa, Slavic_one
    Amazing how naturally we learn as children.That is exactly what I remember my father trying to tell me.
    He was born in a village called Ledenice near Novi Vinodolski which I understand is a Chakavski ikavski area
    Thanks again

4. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    More idiomatically, I'd translate it as "why [on Earth] are you doing that?", with the underlying message "don't do that".

5. Milivoje New Member

USA
    Spanish-English
    There is a song by Oliver Dragojević titled "Ča će mi copacabana".
    I imagine it has the meaning of "what does it matter to me Copacabana" but I can't wrap my head around what the će stands for.

6. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Će is an auxiliary verb for future tense (3rd person singular), and, as in English, it's related with 'will' or 'want".

Ča će mi Kopakabana? literally means 'what will to-me Copacabana [be]?', or, a bit more pragmatically, 'for what use will Copacabana be to me?'... You get it.

Similarly, ča će ti to? is typically used as a mild scolding, approximately, 'for-what will to-you that [be of use]?', or, a bit more liberally, 'what the heck are you doing'? :)

7. Milivoje New Member

USA
    Spanish-English
    Hvala puno, Duya

Your explanation makes total sense and it makes me happy to know that my understanding wasn't too far off the mark.
    I am hopeful that I have lots of the language locked in my subconscious waiting to come out. In the meantime I'll
    continue to study.

8. slavic_one

slavic_one Senior Member

Prague, Czech Republic
    Wouldn't agree with the meaning of "doing that". It is generally "what use will you make of it?".
    Ma ča će ti to?! Hiti to ća!
    (You don't need that, throw it away!)

I don't know if I can agree with that either. Ča će mi Copacabana (btw it's written like that) - "Why do I need Copacabana?"

Ča će to mane? To mi ne rabi niš... (Istrian) - Why do I need that? It's of no use to me.

9. Milivoje New Member

USA
    Spanish-English
    One question,
    can you say "Šta će mi Copacabana" or is ča će only used in the Čakavski dialect.
    Thanks

10. slavic_one

slavic_one Senior Member

Prague, Czech Republic
    You can say "Što/Šta će mi..." in Shtokavian dialect, too.

11. Milivoje New Member

USA
    Spanish-English
    Thank you slavic_one
    Even though I am 40 years your senior I can still learn from you !

12. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    @Slavic One: You're right, I was a bit off the mark. I thought that "to" referred to an action rather than an object, because I missed the red part of Milivoje's original post.