BCS (Šatrovački slang): Stipu Gatibo

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Tassos, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Tassos

Tassos Senior Member

Found it in two songs (again!!).

In the first (by Vatreni Poljubac) the lyric goes
    Mojne meni to, mace maleno, mojne meni to, stipu gatibo.

in the other (by Bijelo Dugme), Mr. Bregović himself says
    stipu, stara, gatibo, mene to ne leži (I think all this lyric is slang)

I understand the expression means "come on, let it go!", "leave it alone" or something like that.
    But what the two words of the expression mean by themselves???
    I haven't found anything on either stipu (checked for stipa, stipo, a verb with stipu as 3rd present plural, nothing) or gatibo. Are they found anywhere else in the language, or only in this expression ??
    Anyway, is this expression still in use today and is it considered offensive?

Thanx again.
  2. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Hint: try playing with the order of syllables ;).It's called šatrovački; I believe the technique is present in slangs of many languages.
  3. DenisBiH

DenisBiH Senior Member

Another hint - Duya's hint is valid for Mojne as well. ;)

And to answer the other part of your question, yes, it's still used today, and no, it's not offensive, but it is very slangy/colloquial.
  4. VelikiMag Senior Member

Serbian - Montenegro
    I'm wondering how did you get the meaning if you don't have a clue what these words are?
  5. Tassos

Tassos Senior Member

I am a phychic :D
    (in fact I found it in the translation of "Pediculis pubis" right here

So is it "pusti bogati" ???

To tell the truth, I was about to ask you about mojne later ...

My book says that this "technique" is used often in colloquial Croatian and Bosnian and includes "words" like:
    vozdra (zdravo)
    žemka (kažem) (B - Sarajevo)
    đido (dođi) (B- Sarajevo)
    žibje (bježi) (B - Sarajevo)
    lima (mali) (C - Zagreb)
    cobra (braco) (C - Zagreb)
    In fact the Croatian translation of the classic cartoon phrase "What's up doc?" is "Kaj te muči Njofra?".

Anyway, in Greek we don't use it, but in French for example there is a whole "language" built in that way called "verlan" (from "a l'envers" which means, of course, in reverse)
  6. VelikiMag Senior Member

Serbian - Montenegro
    Look what it says on wikipedia:
    According to this, I would say the principle is pretty much the same like in BCS.
  7. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    So that's where limač comes from! A few years ago, a Croatian chain of kids' stores known as Turbo limač expanded to Slovenia. Perhaps because the name was a profound mystery even to those who are otherwise familiar with BCS, the chain eventually rebranded to Turbo malček in Slovenia (malček meaning "little guy" in Slovenian).

(But let's get back on topic before I have to give myself a warning!)
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  8. Brainiac Senior Member

Srpski - Kosovo
    Pust boga ti! (I think it's written separately, but I'm not sure) ili Pusti tako ti boga!
    (Ma) bogati! (this goes together) = Egad!

mojne = nemoj!
    Nemoj boga ti! Don't (do it) for God's sake! (For heaven's sake/ for Pete's sake)

Profound mystery? Definition of limač could be found in Wikipedia! :D
    limač = kid, nipper, wean
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  9. Tassos

Tassos Senior Member

@Veliki Mag

ανάποδα doesn't mean wrong way round, but backwards or in reverse.
    I vaguely remember "podana" being mentioned, sometime in the past, but I can assure you I never used any of the words
    of the article (and I never heard anyone else use them or any of them in songs, or movies). I think it's much more obscure and rare than in BCS (or French), limited to certain ages (young) and certain areas of the Athens or Pireus. As I am much older :eek: and live in the suburbs I can't tell you anything more. Anyway, I am really amazed that someone wrote an article like that in wikipedia (not so much that he/she wrote it in English Wikipedia, as the Greek wikipedia has virtually nothing). People really have free time in their hands...

So it is "pusti boga ti" (leave it for God's sake) and has nothing to do with the adjective bogat.
    I didn't undestand what you wrote about Edgar though!!
    Is Šatrovački also used in Serbian? R. Alexander's book says that Beograd has its own "elaborate system" of slang but it doesn't include switching the syllables of words.
  10. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Well, yes, but I'd say that it's less widespread than in Sarajevo or Zagreb. It is chiefly associated with "tough guys" from problematic Belgrade neighborhoods such as Dorćol or Zemun (Vukajlija entry). English Wikipedia has an article, too (unreferenced, naturally :(). Of given examples, I'd say that most widely known are tebra, mojne, konza (Zemun, the country's most notorious quarter for mob activities, has joking nickname Munze konza; Šomi and Kiza are prototypical nicknames of jokes about mobsters), ljakse, pakšu, racku, capi/cupi, vutra; vozdra is mostly known from Sarajevo slang. Breaking syllables with syllabic r produces particularly colorful effects: dismr, dipr.
  11. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    True, but I suppose most people don't go researching things like that online.
  12. DenisBiH

DenisBiH Senior Member

Very true. Actually, limač was a mystery to me too until this thread.
  13. Brainiac Senior Member

Srpski - Kosovo
    It's not bogat - rich, but Boga ti, but I said I was not sure whether it is written separated or like one word. I wrote it separated not to mix it with adjective bogat.

Egad! = Bogati! (<- written together, and it's not bogati adj) Ma nemoj! Ma jel! (usklik)
    Boga mi! Boga ti! Boga vam! = (onlinerecnik says) Gosh! (<- Oh Bože!)

Well, we - "new generation" :D - we don't ask parents to explain us things of their youth or so , you know - conversation parent-child, we just turn on computer and go to Google!
    As far as I remember, my friends used šatrovački till .... 12-13th year, after we considered it as childish, old-fashioned, "out". I never like it either....
  14. Zaldozum New Member

In Macedonian, one could say kade or deka, and there is also the case of the word golemo, which looks like it came from megalo.
  15. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    But only looks. From Skok:

16. Zaldozum New Member

Thanks Duya, I hadn't see such an explanation for that word up until now. Is there common agreement among Slavic linguists regarding the above? Does Skok also cite more words derived from the same root gol/ghal in other Slavic languages?