1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

BCS: dobro mi stoj izmedju jave i sna

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by sesperxes, Jun 10, 2013.

1. sesperxes

sesperxes Senior Member

Burgos (Spain)
    Spanish-Spain
    Dear foreros,

I'd like to know what's the exact meaning of this sentence: I understand "lijepo mi je biti između jave i sna/lepo mi je da sam između..." or "dobro sam kada sam između ...", but it's only an intuition.

The other question is..painful: that "stoj" is the stoj of stoj!/napred! (imperative of stati) or something else?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  2. slavic_one

slavic_one Senior Member

Prague, Czech Republic
    Croatian (štokavski, jekavski)
    1. It means sth like Neka ti bude dobro između jave i sna.
    2. Stoj is imperative of stajati (imperative of stati is stani).

3. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    There are actually two distinct verbs stajati, with intertwined conjugations. It sometimes confuses even native speakers.

1. Stàjati 'stand' imp; pres. stojim, perf. stajao, imp. stoj, pres.part. stojeći: Voz stoji na stanici. 'The train is waiting at the station.'
    2. Stаjati 'stop' imp (iterative); pres. stajem, perf. stajao, imp. staj, pres.part. stajući: Voz staje na svakoj stanici. 'The train stops at every station.'

In other words, they have same infinitive but different present paradigms.

4. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Back to the original question: Dobro mi stoj između jave i sna doesn't make too much sense. Sounds like a fragment from bad song lyrics; the author made a Frankenstein from collocations dobro mi stoj and između jave i sna. The former means 'be good', 'be well' and it's not common (is it from Zagreb dialect, perhaps?); it was popularized by famous song Balkan by Džoni Štulić (I would presume that Sesperxes' sentence is an oblique reference to the somg).

5. sesperxes

sesperxes Senior Member

Burgos (Spain)
    Spanish-Spain
    The sentence is from "Marijane moj", a song by Severina: I've been able to appreciate her performances in X videos, but I hardly heard her ... accent!

In a "translation" of the song Balkan, the Spanish version means something like "and here we are!" and, so, now I'm completely lost with these three words.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  6. slavic_one

slavic_one Senior Member

Prague, Czech Republic
    Croatian (štokavski, jekavski)
    Dobro mi stoj = budi mi dobar, drž' se, nedaj se
    I would translate that as well as Duya - be well!

7. Bresca Senior Member

Maybe Istrians could tell us if this expression is equivalent to Venetian "stammi bene!, "statemi bene!"". ("be well to me", I wish you to be well)

8. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever

Actually, the closest English equivalent of BCS dobro/loše stojimo is 'we're doing well/bad'. That idiom actually is commonly used; however, Štulić might be the first who put it in imperative. (Budi mi silan i dobro mi stoj 'Be powerful and be/do well').

9. Vanja Senior Member

Serbian
    Something like that, this odd line is coined up to sound... artristic ? (!!!!) :D

I guess she wanted to say: It pleases me to dream of you, blurring the distinction between reality and dream.

Dobro mi stoj
    i also means "it suits me well", so this line could mean ... The illusion of you standing there between reality and dream suits me quite well (her wish expressed in an imperative form).