BCS: dug, dobok, visok... X metara

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Miliu, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Miliu Junior Member

Madeira
    Portuguese
    Hello foreros!

"Protoceratops je bio četvoronožni dinosaur dug otprilike 1,8 metara i visok oko 0,6 m."

In this sentence I've three doubts I'd like to ask:

- that "metara" after a 1,8 is because 1 is genitive (jedna i osam)?
    - in words, tha last measure would be "oko nula i sest metara"?
    - the sentence "... dinosaur s dulijinom od jedna i osam metara" would be OK?

Thanks

2. Anicetus Senior Member

Croatian
    No, it's metara because the last part of the number -- 8 -- requires genitive plural. 1 is nominative here (jedan) and even if it were genitive, the form would be jednog(a). As a number, jedan is declined like a pronoun or definite adjective, not like a noun.

Nope, it would be oko nula c(ij)elih šest metara or oko nula zarez (zarez = "comma") šest metara. Note that c(ij)elih agrees with nula, so if it were 1,6 you'd say jedan c(ij)eli šest metara, 2,6 would be dva cijela šest metara etc. This option is also a bit more bookish than zarez.

I wouldn't say so; it could work if you put duljina in genitive instead: dinosaur duljine jednog zarez osam metara, but dinosaur dug jedan zarez osam metara is the simplest way to put it.

3. VelikiMag Senior Member

Serbian - Montenegro
    There are also words zapeta and koma. I have heard people saying that koma is a foreign word and shouldn't be used as such, zarez is something you cut (zarezati), and therefore only zapeta is correct. They were not linguists however. :)

4. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    We recently discussed number agreement after fractions here:

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2558216

Yes, in Serbia wannabe purists insist on zapeta, stating that zarez is somehow "Croatian". They only fail to notice the catch that zapeta is actually a russism; to me, it sounds clumsy, particularly for the fact that it has three syllables, and it interferes with natural prosody.