BCS: fin, fina, fino

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by sesperxes, Nov 27, 2012.

1. sesperxes

sesperxes Senior Member

Burgos (Spain)
    Dear foreros:

I've often used and heard the adjective fin, fina, fino that translates:

- "delicious, good, tasteful" when referred to meals, cakes, liquors ("fini keksi", fino! - to express that the food was good -);
    - "delicate, slender, slim" (fina linija, fino lice).

Recently I've heard the expression "biće fino" (they talked about going to the seaside): what would be the sense -> "it's going to be OK, it's gonna be fine" or "it's going to be great, we'll enjoy it"?

2. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Something in-between, it really depends on the context and speaker's facial expression. Fino is certainly weaker than sjajno, odlično, izvanredno... so it may express either speaker's restraint or be used as an euphemism for "lousy".
  3. Vanja Senior Member

fin-a: nice. Fina devojka - A nice girl. (pleasant, amiable, gentle, kind, nice, good, polite....)
    Fino momče i devojče - Braw lad and bonny lass :D

fino: Fino izrađemo, fina izrada... delicate workmanship
    fina tkanina - a soft fabric

fina linija ~ a fine/thin line, or soft line (a curve, bends gradually), smooth.

Fino means - nothing rough, roughly said :) Fine, pretty, "small but good".
  4. aprendiendo argento

aprendiendo argento Senior Member

Premantura - Croatia
    Croatian (Chakavian)
    In Croatian, fino for food and beverages is a regional colloquialism (taken from fein in Austrian German): Fino i friško (Delicious and Fresh) are famous bread shops in Zagreb.
    In German, outside Austria and Bavaria, they do not use fein for food, but lecker. :cool: