BCS: izgledati

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by sesperxes, Feb 15, 2013.

1. sesperxes

sesperxes Senior Member

Burgos (Spain)
    Dear foreros,

I've picked this two sentences from a film:

- kako izgleda?
    - izgleda dobre ideje.

I translate them as: what do you think? That's a good idea, BUT:

- does the verb izgledati need the adverb "kako" to put questions? (I'd say directly "šta izgleda?", but in the net I only see "kako izgleda");
    - may I say "to izgleda dobraNOM idejaNOM"?

To fix ideas with this the verb, the sentences "Mira izgleda svoja mlađa sestra", "ovog dana varoš izgledala je smrta" and "to izgleda da sutra padat će/padaće" (it seems that tomorrow it's going to rain) would be correct?

2. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Like English seem, izgledati answers the question 'how':

How does it seem? : Kako izgleda?

So its argument is an adverb or an adverbial phrase:

[Ona] Izgleda dobro.
    [To] Izgleda kao dobra ideja.

Secondarily, it may take an adjective as an argument (On izgleda čudan.) but to my ear, it often sounds substandard (I'd prefer an adverb, On izgleda čudno.) I think we had a thread about it. But it never should take a noun.

However, like English it seems, izgleda is often used impersonally:

Izgleda da dolaze stražari. 'It seems that the guards are coming.'

and it is often used independently, as a modal phrase/particle. It should be separated with commas in such usage:

On je, izgleda, čudan. 'He is, it seems, weird'
    Ono su, izgleda, stražari! 'These are the guards, it seems!'
  3. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    On to the questions:
    Without 'kao', it could pass, but only colloquially.
    You really need a 'kao' here.
    ...Or mrtvo.
    'To' is unnecessary in impersonal use. Because of "clitics second" rule, it should really read Izgleda da će sutra padati, but that's beside the point.
  4. Jeki Member

Sorry, this remark is not related to the thread you have posted, but this sentence attracted my attention. It should be NJENA instead of SVOJA - Mira izgleda kao njena mlađa sestra.
  5. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    I find svoja perfectly fine in that sentence. What's the difference from Mira liči na svoju mlađu sestru, where svoja is obviously grammatical and appropriate?

On the contrary, Mira izgleda kao njena mlađa sestra is borderline ambiguous, but I agree that it would be understood as 'Mira's sister' (not 'somebody else's sister').
  6. Jeki Member

You're right, Duya! It may be ambiguous.
    I agree with you. "Mira LIČI na svoju mlađu sestru" sounds natural to me, but it's not the case with "Mira IZGLEDA kao svoja mlađa sestra." It just sounds a bit weird to me.
  7. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Now that you mention it, and I said it aloud, it does sound a bit off to me as well. However, I can't rationally explain that feeling: when analyzed grammatically, it seems to be 'by the book'.

Sorry for drifting off topic, but I recall similar "twilight zone" feeling when someone at another forum used word podsećen: it's a perfectly regular passive of perfectly transitive verb podsetiti, but it sounded weird to all native speekers in the room.