1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

BCS: jedno-, dvo-, tro-, itd.

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Bresca, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Bresca Senior Member

Hello everyone!

In English there's rather do-it-yourself way of expressing qualities related to numerals: one-bed room, two-bed room, two-storey house, two-place house, two-room apartment, three-colour process, four-wheel drive and so on.
    In BCS I've found many equivalents (jednostavan, jednokrevetan, dvokrevetan, dvokatan, dvosjedac, dvosobni, trokrak, trokatni, trovrstan, četveromotorni, četveroručno and some others) and I'd like to know if these adjectives can be freely built by users.

If I want to say seven-colour flag or ten-page leaflet, may I propose sedmorobojna zastava and desetorostranican prospekt?

Thanks to all.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. sesperxes

sesperxes Senior Member

Burgos (Spain)
    Spanish-Spain
    ¡Hola Bresca!

I have another pearl to add to your list: "šesdesetogodišnji"! I found it in Večernji List a few days ago. I imagine that we can say also "sedmoroglavan zmaj" (seven-headed dragon) and "stogodišnji rat" (war of 100 years)!! These adjectives are wonderful!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  3. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Sedmobojna and desetostraničan, actually, without -ro- (-ro- exists only in četvoro/četvero-). But yes, you can build them as you see fit.

Duya, tridesetdevetogodišnji forero. ;)

4. VelikiMag Senior Member

Serbian - Montenegro
    It should be "sedmoglavi zmaj".