1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

BCS: Lack of tone in a stressed syllable

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by PiotrR, Dec 15, 2013.

1. PiotrR Junior Member

Chinese (Mandarin)
    Hello! Can a stressed syllable be pronounced with a non-tonic vowel? Or does it have to be either falling or raising? I know than in unstressed syllables they must be non-tonic.

2. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    In standard language, no. It's either falling or rising.

Note, however, that for speakers of non-tonal languages, falling is the more natural accent: the stressed syllable normaly has higher pitch than the succeeding one, which matches the BCS falling contour fairly well.

In non-standard dialects, such as old Štokavian ones or the Kajkavian mixture of Zagreb area, the falling/rising distinction is completely or partially (for short dialects) missing.

3. PiotrR Junior Member

Chinese (Mandarin)
    Thanks! What do you mean by "short dialects" though? I'm aware of the absence of tones in parts of (or most of actually?) Croatia.

4. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    I meant "short accents", sorry.

5. PiotrR Junior Member

Chinese (Mandarin)
    Ok, therefore long vowels aren't affected in these areas? Some Croatians though seem to have a "machine gun-like" pronunciation (no offence), with only short vowels and no tones...

6. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Some old Štokavian dialects have three-tone system: long rising, long falling, and short. I'm not sufficiently well versed in accentollogy to tell you which ones offhand. Zeta could be one.

7. PiotrR Junior Member

Chinese (Mandarin)
    No worries, that's good enough for me. Thanks!