BCS: Nenad i Predrag

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by sesperxes, Jan 7, 2013.

1. sesperxes

sesperxes Senior Member

Burgos (Spain)
    Dear foreros,

When giving name to male twins, I've been told that people used (use? always? in all YU?) to call them Nenad and Predrag. Which one of them is the elder: the Not-hoped or the So-loved?

And, as it may happen, when the twins are girls, what would be the feminine version of these names?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  2. Vanja Senior Member

Names for two brothers, not necessary twins. Nenad could be the eldest (21st century!) and Predrag the youngest child, a child of the family.
    "Predrag and Nenad", the famous epic Serbian folk song - tragic, wonderful, heart-shaking story about fratricide). Predrag is probably about 15 years older than Nenad, since Nenad didn't know or remember he had a brother.

I don't know the origins of the names, but there are roomers they came from the Southern parts of ex Yu (poor ones). They are typical names in Serbia and Montenegro, and I guess in Hercegovina and Croatia, to a lesser extent.

Feminine versions... none I can think of. Maybe Nenad >> Neda, Nedica and Predrag >> Dragica (Dragica/Dragiša pair)... Divna? Divna ("wonderful") doesn't have m. version, but "divna" is associated with someone very dear to you.

Mirko&Slavko and Jan(j)a&Dunja can be the names for twins. :D
  3. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    I think the custom is more an urban (well, rather, rural :) ) legend, i.e. interpretation of the song than an actual etymology, but some parents still do name their twin boys Predrag and Nenad. It goes that the elder gets called Predrag (roughly 'dearest'), and the younger gets called Nenad, because his birth was unexpected ('nenadan'). In the days before the ultrasound, that is :)
  4. sesperxes

sesperxes Senior Member

Burgos (Spain)
    In my case, the rule is widely confrmed: my second son was very very Nenadan!