1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

BCS: odplovila je i ponovo digla je

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by sesperxes, Apr 22, 2013.

1. sesperxes

sesperxes Senior Member

Burgos (Spain)
    Spanish-Spain
    Dear foreros,

in this sentence of a tale, I'd want you to confirm me that the verb "odploviti" means "to navigate downwards" (I can't find it nowhere: Novi Liber i moji riječnik imaju samo "ploviti") and I'd need the root of the participle digao-digla-diglo.

The sentence is: Kapljica odplovila je u kanal. Iz kanala u rijeku,... Isparila je i ponovo se digla u drugi oblak.

Thanks.

2. slavic_one

slavic_one Senior Member

Prague, Czech Republic
    Croatian (štokavski, jekavski)
    It would most probably be "Kapljica je otplovila u kanal." (word order, and "t" instead of "d"). Now search your dictionaries. And also for "dignuti / dići".
    A drop went down into the canal. From the canal into the river. She vapoured and again rose into another cloud.

3. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    One of common meanings of prefix od is 'away'. Otploviti is 'float/sail away'.

4. sesperxes

sesperxes Senior Member

Burgos (Spain)
    Spanish-Spain
    Probably even the original text is wrong, because the sentence says "odplovila je u kanal": phonetically it doesn't sound so different "otploviti" and "odploviti", at least for a foreigner!

Thanks for the help!

5. sesperxes

sesperxes Senior Member

Burgos (Spain)
    Spanish-Spain
    Wow Slavic One! I'm afraid my imagination is not so good to imagine that "digla" comes from "dignuti"! From dignuti I would have deduced "dignuo", at most.

I suppose that there's no rule of thumb to deduce infinitives from (irregular) participles, am I wrong?

6. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Actually, the relationship is mostly regular: the participle is formed by adding -ao, -la, -lo to the infinitive stem.

However, this verb class has dual, completely synonymous, infinitive forms: one on -ći and the other on -nuti:

dignuti:dići ~ dignuo:digao
    domognuti:domoći ~ domognuo:domogao
    niknuti:nići ~ niknuo:nikao
    maknuti:maći ~ maknuo:makao
    taknuti:taći ~ taknuo:takao

However, frequency of forms varies, especially in participle; dignuo sounds a bit odd to me, and so does makao. However, pomakao and pomaknuo both sound fine. Matter of habit, mostly.

P.S. However, note that sagnuti, nagnuti, pognuti and derived participles are the only correct forms.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  7. sesperxes

sesperxes Senior Member

Burgos (Spain)
    Spanish-Spain
    Excuse me, Duya:

if these verbs have dual infinitives, this duality is mantained in all the verbal forms derived from infinitives?

taknuću/taći ću (futur 1.)
    taknuo/takao (pridjev)
    taknuj!/taci! (?) (imperativ)
    taknenje/taćenje (glagolska imenica)

Do sutra, laku noć i hvala!

8. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Not all. Your futures are OK, but the imperative is only takni (makni, digni...). Since all those verbs are perfective, they don't have gerunds on -nje (their imperfective pairs do -- ticanje, micanje, dizanje). Some of them do have a derived noun using -će: smaknúće, dostignúće.

However, aorists are also dual: dignuh:digoh... dignu:diže; maknuh:makoh... maknu:mače.