1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

BCS: osim sto su lijepe

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by sesperxes, Apr 3, 2013.

1. sesperxes

sesperxes Senior Member

Burgos (Spain)
    Spanish-Spain
    Hello everyone,

in a culinary forum I've read that "osim što su lijepe, moje torte su ipak zdrave".

That "osim što" misleads me and I don't know what's the real meaning of the sentence:

- in spite of being nice, my cakes are still healthy (and I don't grasp the irony)
    - maybe they are not nice, but my cakes are still healthy (but "osim što" didn't mean "except"??).

Obviously, I can try the recipe and see what happens, but my sweets have always the same appearance...

Thanks.

2. Anicetus Senior Member

Croatian
    I'd say your first guess is closer: "My cakes are not only nice, but also healthy".
    Think of the logic this way: the advantage of my cakes, other than that they're nice, is that they're healthy.

The ipak part confuses me a little bit too, it could be a lapsus on the part of the author. The sentence would make more sense if it were "osim što su lijepe, moje torte su i zdrave".

3. sesperxes

sesperxes Senior Member

Burgos (Spain)
    Spanish-Spain
    U redu, osim što mi pomožete, znate i biti brz s odgovorima. Hvala lijepa!

4. Pajapatak Senior Member

Belgrade, Serbie
    serbe / Serbian
    Osim što mi pomažete, vi ste i brzi s odgovorima / vi mi i brzo odgovarate
    Hope you don't mind...
    :)
    Donald

5. mmbata

mmbata Junior Member

Novi Sad (Vojvodina)
    Serbian & Croatian
    Hola,
    'osim' in this context means: besides, in addition, except for, apart from, even considering...
    We could say 'pored toga': "pored toga što su lijepe, moje torte su ipak zdrave".
    It means that 'they are nice, and in addition they are healthy' or 'apart from being nice, they are healthy'
    Saludos