1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

BCS: Panonski mornar

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Miliu, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Miliu Junior Member

Madeira
    Portuguese
    Hello foreros,

I've tried to traslate the lyrics of this song of old đole Balašević, and there are three sentences that resist.

The first one says: U ravnici usred njiva gubim elan, nasukan u žitu morski vuk (the original version), while the words in Croatian become "... nasukani žitni morski vuk" (at least Kraljevi ulice so sing it in their fairly slower version). The translation would be: In the plains, amid fields, I lose my impulse, stranded sea-dog amid cereals".
    Is there any grammatical reason to change that "nasukan u žitu= stranded in the cereals" for "nasukani žitni=stranded and done of cereals"?

The second doubt is the following sentence "mog mora nema" : "of me - must - there is not" or "there's no bad dream of me" or something less...senseless?

The last one: what does it mean "Mesec Svetionik" (Mjesec Svjetionik) =month lighhouse?

To je šta pesma reći: kad naučim BCS ponekad "život mi je zato gorak kao tonik!"

Hvala lepo.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  2. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Well, žito='wheat' rather than 'cereals' (which would be rather žitarice and sounds awfully unpoetic). Apparently, they didn't mean 'made of wheat' but 'from wheat'.

I can't see a reason why they changed it, and the original sounds far better to me. Maybe they misheard it.

Moje more (nom) > Mog mora (gen): Mog mora nema = 'There isn't my sea' ('My sea is not there').

Yes, it was meant as direct comparison, so could be written with a dash: Al' na sreću tu je mesec-svetionik.

3. Miliu Junior Member

Madeira
    Portuguese
    Moje more (nom) > Mog mora (gen): Mog mora nema = 'There isn't my sea' ('My sea is not there').(Thanks Duya: I've been slapping myself for more than 10 minutes! It was just a "nema mojeg mora"!)

[/QUOTE] OK, it's a comparison but..what does it means a "mesec-svetionik"? (the lighthouse of the month? The moon-like lighthouse? )

4. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Ah, sorry, misread the question. Moon, not month. He meant moon (glowing like a) lighthouse.

5. Vanja Senior Member

Serbian
    * Moon, not month

(Oh, you were faster... I haven't seen...)

Not moon-like, but "Moon the Lighthouse".

6. Miliu Junior Member

Madeira
    Portuguese
    Hvala dvama!

7. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Oboma. :) Or, obojici, if you know we're both males (we are).

8. Vanja Senior Member

Serbian
    P.S. This is the second time you speak in the name of others (or answered instead of Anicetus or me). And the second (Cetinski's song first time), wrongly judged "emotional stuff" ;).
    It's oboma or Vama dvoje hvala.:D

9. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    I suppose I wouldn't do well on an E.Q. test...

10. Miliu Junior Member

Madeira
    Portuguese

Thanks for clarifying your sexuality: those final "a" leaded me to think you are women! Sorry.

Therefore, would it be hvala oboma (to 2 males), obema (2 females) and oboma (2 neuters or 1 male+1 female)?
    The declension of oba and dva, is not the same?

Could I simply use the numeral 2 in this situation?: "hvala dvama muzičarima, koncert je bilo fantastičan".

Hvala ..... ! (fill the gap as you prefer!)

11. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Vanja is usually a male name or nickname (from Ivan) (thus my mishap), but can also be a female name or nickname (from Ivana). So, Vanja is a she :D. Mine is a male nickname (actually, Duja, but that username was taken). Many Serbian male names and nicknames end in -a (less so in Croatia and Bosnia, where they take the -o form), so you often can't tell unless you're familiar with the onomastics.

That stuff with oba is helluva complicated, and I'm not even sure I can explain it accurately. I'll give it a try...

Oba basically means 'both', i.e. 'these/those two'. It is not generally replaceable with dva 'two'. Especially in a dialogue, you would rather use oba to address a pair; dva could only be used in third person: Dva muzičara su odlično svirala.

Now, the really complicated stuff: oba is usually used as a adjective, i.e. it precedes a noun (which would be in paucal, as with number two): oba čoveka, obe žene, oba deteta. However, when you need just a noun, you'd rather use obojica, obe or oboje (both neutrum or mixed-company), as in hvala obojici/obema/oboma. Those can have an accompanied noun, but then it acts as a quantifier (like par, mnogo, nekoliko), and the noun thus goes into genitive plural: hvala obojici muzičara/hvala obema violinistkinjama. Oboje resists the complement: Hvala oboma dece sounds strange to me.

Note that oba actually behaves like numbers 2-4, so that it has separate "numeral nouns" for m. and n. (but not f.):

oba čoveka : obe žene : oba deteta | obojica muškaraca : oboje dece
    dva čoveka : dve žene : dva deteta | dvojica muškaraca : dvoje dece
    četiri čoveka : četiri žene : četiri deteta | četvorica muškaraca : četvoro dece

12. Vanja Senior Member

Serbian
    Vanja is rather a female (nick)name here. In Russian, Vanya is male. But Sasha is for Russian girls/women too (I think it's in fashion now) and Serbian male Vlada is a female Russian nickname (Vlada Rosyakova, famous model). The world is changing.... :D

Hvala vam obojici, koncert... or just Hvala vam, without obojici/ vama dvoje i sl. (But two persons can't hold a concert, so you have to greet all forty-eighty of them :D)

Hvala vam pudlice moje male! :D :D

13. Miliu Junior Member

Madeira
    Portuguese
    Wow! In the States lives Obama and in Serbia live obema and oboma!!! As Hugo Chávez (Ugo čavez) would say: Oh, Bama, it smells of sulphur!

Thanks, I promise to be careful when I'll meet a couple of anything in Serbia.