1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

BCS: poslednje & zadnje

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Gnoj, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Gnoj Senior Member

Macedonia
    Macedonian
    What's the difference between these two words? We have only one word "posledno" in Macedonian, so I can't quite catch the difference.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. VelikiMag Senior Member

Serbian - Montenegro
    How come? In Google Translate for the word rear it gives translation задните, задни, задниот, etc.

3. Gnoj Senior Member

Macedonia
    Macedonian
    Those refer to something that is behind or at the back side: predna stranica/zadna stranica = front page/back page and we don't use them for first/last, which is always prvo/posledno in Macedonian. Zadnji put = Posleden pat / Posledniot pat

4. VelikiMag Senior Member

Serbian - Montenegro
    It is the same in BCS. Additionally, zadnji can also be used in the meaning of poslednji, so they are synonyms. But not in every situation it sounds good. In a race for example it's better to say for a competitor who came last that he is poslednji, not zadnji. Someone might have a different opinion, though.

5. Gnoj Senior Member

Macedonia
    Macedonian
    Alright then, thanks. :)

6. iobyo Senior Member

Bitola, Macedonia
    Macedonian
    They correspond in BCS and Macedonian when they are used in a spacial sense: предњи - задњи (преден - заден). But BCS also uses задњи in a temporal sense (први - последњи/задњи) where Macedonian only has прв(и) - последен.

In BCS (in a temporal sense) I understand задњи as being 'very last, last ever'. For example, задњи пут те молим wouldn't sound right to me with последњи. Then again, not being a native speaker, I could be wrong.

7. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    BCS purists proscribe zadnji in temporal sense, though it has been recorded in many good writers, and is rather widely used as such.

8. tristian New Member

Slovenian
    I "ve asked my lector what is the difference between those two words in slovenian language, and he answered me that those two words in slovenian language meanthe same only difference is in popularity of those two words in different regions in Slovenia.

9. laralara New Member

Paris, France
    serbo-croatian
    My parents, both professors of Serbo-Croatian language and literature, always corrected me when I used zadnji in the meaning of last and insisted that I use poslednji. According to them, poslednji=last and zadnji=rear and using zadnji instead of poslednji is simply wrong. Still, both poslednji and zadnji are heavily and interchangeably used in everyday life in the meaning of last, but my understanding is that using zadnji is OK only in colloquial, oral situations (it likely became popular because it is a shorter word) and that only poslednji should be used to say last in any writen text or proper/formal speech.