1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Be my guest

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Antonio, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    Hi Group,

What does "Be my guest" means? I understood that this phrase means "Go ahead" and "after you" is this meaning right or wrong? Is this phrase politer then "After you" or not? Is not consider to be rude, if I say it, or it depends on the tone of your voice and the situation?

2. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Hi Antonio;
    You are correct..and it is not considered rude to say it...
    at least where I come from...
    te gato;)

3. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    For a woman, if I say "Be my guest" I sound too much formal or not if I say it? "Go ahead" is more for guys or not necessarily?

4. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    US-English
    I'd say that EITHER one should be fine if you are doing something polite.

For instance, if you open a door for someone, "be my guest", with a smile, should be 100% fine!

Gaer

5. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Antonio;

I agree with gaer...

and as a woman..we tend to like when men are polite..or at least I do...

te gato;)

6. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    But which is more formal to use for a man when you have a woman in front of you "Be my guest" or "After you" This is good to use, when you're dating someone you liked or not necessarily?

7. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    US-English
    That's tough to answer.

I would prefer to use, "After you," if I wanted to stress politeness.

There is yet another way:

Please be my guest…

That is a very polite thing to say, I think. :)

G

8. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Antonio;
    as a woman..either of them would be fine by me...
    te gato;)

9. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    Well yeah, but you know that for most people. The most common one is "Go ahead" I never heard someone to say "After you" only "Be my guest" and is rare that someone use it to a woman; But I think this two last ones, no one uses it, because their are too formal or at least they sound too formal for me. That's why I was asking about the dating issue in my previous question? or what do you think?

10. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    US-English
    Te Gato gave you good advice. You would be wise to listen to her!

11. Sharon

Sharon Senior Member

United States, English
    From a man I liked, I think I would like to hear "after you" more than "be my guest."

"Be my guest" is very polite, but to me, it doesn't have the same warmth as "after you."
    I usually wait on a guest, but my trusty friends can make themselves at home! :D

:)

12. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    If I have to pick between the three ways to say "Be my guest", I'II probably pick two "Go ahead" and "Be my guest" because I consider "After you" too much formal to use. But the thing that I ignore is that, can I use this last one, in a dating situation for example? "Be my guest" is equal to say it for man and woman or not?

13. garryknight Senior Member

Kent, UK
    UK, English
    "Be my guest" has other uses as well. For example: "Do you mind if I read your newspaper?" "Be my guest."

14. tim Junior Member

Australia, English
    "Be my guest" is really only used after somebody has asked permission to do something, such as in garryknight's example.
    "Go ahead" is quite similar, only less idiomatic, perhaps.

If all you were doing was opening a door for somebody and indicating that they should enter before you, "after you" sounds to me like the most appropriate phrase.

15. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    US-English
    I agree, but I'd add two things:

I might say "be my guest" to someone who gives me a look that conveys: "Should I got?"?

Second, the most appropriate way to be polite is often to merely open a door and hold it, so sometimes a mere gesture takes the place of words. This is only good for SOME situations, of course!

Gaer

16. conimele Junior Member

SPANISH
    I ve listened this when a person invite another to smoke

17. arka6 New Member

Spanish - Levante de Andalucía
    I heard once "... or ... if you think that's a good way to solve the problem, then, be my guest!" which, I believe was said in an ironic way. Could it also, perhaps, mean something like "I'll only go after you already tested, and then we see what happened"? I guess that 'go ahead', and 'after you' could work in the same way.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  18. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    It depends on the context. If someone reaches a doorway at the same time as me, I say "After you". "Be my guest" does not make sense in this situation.