1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

be that as it may (stronger version?)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Trimple, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Trimple Junior Member

Yokohama, Japan
    Japanese
    Dear all,

[Example]
    Safety is the top priority in manufacturing facilities. Be that as it may, improving productivity is also an important task.

I want to link the two sentences in the sense that improving productivity is an important challenge, provided that safety measures are secured.
    "Be that as it may" is too weak here, because there should be no doubt about safety being a top priority.
    "On that premise" might be an option except it sounds awkward here and not quite to the point.
    "That said" seemed OK, but previous threads indicate that the two sentences linked should be contradictory.

What would you suggest using?

2. Imber Ranae Senior Member

English - USA
    "That said" seems fine to me. I don't see why it should require a contradiction.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be able to make sense of "on that premise" in this sentence.

3. perpend Senior Member

American English
    Maybe: In conjunction with that, improving productivity ...

I'm not sure, since I don't fully understand your context. Maybe it helps you or someone else further.

"That said" seems a little weak for me.

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    First, your first sentence:
    Safety is the top priority in manufacturing facilities, but improving productivity is also an important task.

Second, that doesn't say to me what your explanation says: "... that improving productivity is an important challenge, provided that safety measures are secured."

In the first sentence, productivity is an "also" thing -- its role is subordinate to safety. But your explanations says that productivity is the primary thing as long as safety is maintained.

I think you need to devise a new sentence with this in mind.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  5. neal41 Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA, English
    I think the sentence with 'but' is entirely adequate.

6. Trimple Junior Member

Yokohama, Japan
    Japanese
    Thank you all, for your comments.

I will reconsider the overall structure with your comments in mind... the original Japanese version is a little vague on the relationship between the two sentences, and I guess my indecisiveness (over interpretation) caused the inconsistency Copyright pointed out.
    Thanks!!

7. perpend Senior Member

American English
    I understand it differently, and I think that you need something else besides "but". :) No pun intended.

My understanding is that productivity ties in with safety. In other words, there is "crossover" / "synergies".