Be we ruled religiously

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by tina1606, Mar 7, 2013.

1. tina1606 Senior Member

GREEK
    Hi

Be we ruled religiously, morally, or ethically, we all have certain things we will or will not do.

Could someone explain to me the meaning of be we? does it mean that as we are ruled....?

Thank u

2. macemontana New Member

English - US
    I think it means, "If we were ruled ..." or "If we were to be ruled..."
    It's a hypothetical situation.
    Hope this helps!

3. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
    It´s the subjunctive tense of the verb "to be" not used much today in English and it sounds old-fashioned.
    e.g. I suggest they be removed immediately. I wish he were happier. If it be raining tomorrow, I will not go. If I were rich, I would buy a house.
    There are lots of useful threads on it in the WR dictionary.

4. cset Senior Member

French, Español
    It's "whether we are ruled..."

It means that no matter which (of religion, morality or ethics) is guiding our conduct, "we all have certain things we will or will not do."

El subjuntivo funciona igual en español: "Que estemos guiados por la religión, la moralidad, o la ética, todos tenemos cosas..."

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  5. L'Inconnu Senior Member

US
    English
    Yes, it is a rare usuage of the present subjunctive in English, which we sometimes use for special emphasis, especially with the verb 'to be'. We also use the subjunctive of the verb 'to be' in certain set phrases.

'The powers that be (we are uncertain about who they really are)
    'Glory be to God' ( A wish)

6. tina1606 Senior Member

GREEK
    Thank u so much!

7. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    "Whether or not we are ruled religiously, morally, or ethically, we all have certain things we will or will not do."

I don't thing the "or not" makes sense in this construction since there are multiple options listed. "Whether or not" refers to the existence or absence of a single trait.