1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Bear with me past tense

Discussion in 'English Only' started by difficult cuss, Jan 9, 2007.

1. difficult cuss Senior Member

English England
    I have ben asked what the past tense of "bear" is, as in "bear with me for a moment" and I simply do not know...any ideas?

2. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    HERE's the complete conjugation with Logos.

...bore...

3. difficult cuss Senior Member

English England
    Hi TimLA,
    That link does not work for me. Could you be so kind as to retry, or perhaps tell me the past tense, if it is not possible?

many thanks

4. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    Sorry, I edited my post...it's "bore".

5. Lora44 Senior Member

Birmingham, UK
    England, English
    bear • bore • have born(e)

However, if I could get away with it, I would say 'I did bear with you...' because I'm a bit of a wuss like that :)

6. difficult cuss Senior Member

English England
    Hi TimLA,
    That site is very useful, thanks for the link.
    Lora44
    I try to avoid "bear with me" as I think it sounds awful..and as for the past tense..pah! Blasted silly phrase. What's wrong with "Can you hold on please?" ?

7. Lora44 Senior Member

Birmingham, UK
    England, English
    Yeah, I agree, some of the irregular verbs sounds so awkward, especially in the past tense.

8. marget Senior Member

I think the particular problem with this verb is that we're more accustomed to using it transitively, as in "to bear children". "To bear with" someone seems to be a different usage.

9. MissFit

MissFit Senior Member

I don't think that it's a silly phrase at all. "Bear with me" sounds more eloquent to me and certainly more literal than "hold on." In fact, "hold on" seems rather silly to me. It brings to mind a picture of someone dangling from a rope.

The past tense doesn't sound at all odd to me either--such as in, "He bore with me for twenty minutes as I searched for the information he wanted, but then he could stand it no longer and he hung up the phone." Maybe I'm just peculiar.

10. jabogitlu Senior Member

USA-English
    I believe I would naturally say "He beared with me for twenty minutes." Yeah, yeah... :p

"He bore with me" sounds like we both had giant stingers attached to our heads, and we were boring away at something - like a dirt dobber almost!

11. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

Some past tense words in English that are perfectly good seem to make people feel awkward. I think "bore" is one of them, although I don't have a problem.

I have "swum", although correct, often gets replaced with "swam"; the same with "I have drunk" getting replaced with "drank".

Perhaps it's an early stage of regularizing a verb. I've always wondered.

This would be "he bored with me."

12. marget Senior Member

I don't have a problem with "bear with me" in the present tense. To me, it means, "hang in there with me", "don't give up on me", "tolerate (humor) me a little longer". It's the past tense, it gets sticky. I might say "I asked him to bear with me and he hung around (waited) for twenty minutes and then lost patience". For me, the expression "to bear with someone" extends beyond the telephone.

13. jabogitlu Senior Member

USA-English
    :D Okay, switch it to 'they.' Saying "they bore with me" sounds like someone is boring a la dirt dobber in the present tense.

Whew, did I get out of that one? ::wipes sweat::

14. What comes to mind:

PersonA: Someone is telling PersonB detailed directions on how to do something.
    PersonB: Didn't listen to PersonA good enough. PersonB makes stupid mistake.
    PersonA: "If you could've just bore with me, you wouldn't have made that stupid mistake!! You have the attention span of a two-year old!"

Maybe in that case the past tense would be used ;)

15. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

Actually, in that case it would be "If you could've just borne with me..." It's "bear, bore, have borne". :)