Beati i poveri di spirito, loro è il regno dei cieli

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by mieleus, Apr 24, 2005.

1. mieleus Senior Member

Norway
    italian
    Ciao,aiuto!
    Sono nuova,non so usare ancora questo sito...abbi pazienza.
    Grazie mille.

2. Alfry

Alfry Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    blessed are the poor in spirit, the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to them...

o qualcosa del genere.

visto che sei nuova ti consiglio di leggere i regolamenti (sticky threads) che trovi in testa al forum.

ti suggerisco di partire da questo
    http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=25521

ciao e benvenuto

3. lsp

lsp Senior Member

NY
    US, English
    We typically render that in english, "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth." Matthew 5:3-4

4. mimitabby

mimitabby Senior Member

seattle
    usa, english
    we used to say a prayer "blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs
    is the kingdom of heaven"

5. mirandolina

mirandolina Senior Member

Padua, Italy
    Scotland - English
    That's certainly the version I learned, ages ago.....:)

6. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    I find the version with "meek" substantially gentler than what I know from other languages, in the sense politically correct, non-insulting.:)

If I were to interpret "meek" negatively, then I would go for "a good-hearted fool", which is a far cry from "mentally ill" or "poor in spirit".

Jana

7. mirandolina

mirandolina Senior Member

Padua, Italy
    Scotland - English
    Unfortunately the Bible was written and translated long before the days of the "politically correct"!

Out of curiosity I looked up different editions and find completely different translations for this verse.
    The Revised Standard Version - Catholic Edition (1966) gives "Blessed are in the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
    Quite different, the New English Bible, Oxford/Cambridge Unitersity Press (1970): "How blest are those who know their need of God; the kingdom of Heaven is theirs."

The "meek" appear two verses later, respectively:
    "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth".
    And "How blest are those of a gentle spirit; they shall have the earth for their possession".

So "poor in spirit" and "meek" are clearly not synonymous - one group gets the kingdom of heaven, the other gets the earth! :)

I wonder what the original was? I don't see any logical connection or resemblance between "the poor in spirit" and "those who know their need of God"