1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

beating the odds

Discussion in 'English Only' started by frederikke, Feb 8, 2005.

1. frederikke New Member

france
    Hi everybody,

I'm new user on this forum, and i'm french (you'll soon discover this fact, by reading me !).
    I've got one simple question for english native users :
    what does mean : "to beat the odds" (or "beating the odds") ????

Could someone explain me what is the meaning of this "expression", or, better, could someone give me a french translation ?

I would be glad and thankful for this little help ....

thank you very much, in advance.

Fred.

2. Benjy

Benjy Senior Member

Milton Keynes, UK
    English - English
    to beat the odds means to still win/succede even when the odds (we're talking about beting odds (la cote?) here) are against you ie its unlikely that you'll win.

je crois qu'en français on dirait "gagner contre toute attente"

ps.. tu veux tes réponses en francais mieux vaut poser tes questions ici

3. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Greetings frederikke,

Welcome to the forums! You already have a good answer to your question, so let me just point out that
    means "one who uses English natives". You should say, 'native users of English' or, better yet, 'native English speakers'.

Best regards,
    Cuchufléte

4. frederikke New Member

france
    Thank you for this first explanation .... i'll post my question in the french english forum, as you indicated.

merci.

fred

5. frederikke New Member

france
    :eek: ok, i'm really bad in english ....... i should have notice my mistake !

i will use the terms : "native english speakers" ...

thanks !

this forum is really great !

6. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Just keep practicing,

Cheers,
    Cuchu

7. fetchezlavache

fetchezlavache Senior Member

metz, france
    france
    oh boy. i better start using capital letters myself. i never do, not even in handwriting. <sigh>

8. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    If you were a beginner, it would be helpful to know the standards, before applying a personalized style. Now that you are expert, you are just asserting your personal taste, which seems to coincide with that of one of my favorite poets: E.E. Cummings [he wrote it e.e.c.]

Cuchu

9. Sharon

Sharon Senior Member

United States, English
    Please capitalize things, and I don't care who you are!! This is a big pet peeve of mine. If a person does not know they should, and then they get their answers from an expert that doesn't, then how do they learn that?

Imagine if high schools started to print everything in lowercase because it is quicker, easier, and they should know those rules by then. :eek:

Sharon.:)

:eek: Was I shouting? I'm sorry, I did not intend to shout.

10. fetchezlavache

fetchezlavache Senior Member

metz, france
    france

well that tone of "voice" is unpleasant enough to make me stubbornly decide not to make the effort.

i am not trying to 'be' anybody, and i don't understand the personal animosity sharon.

ps i'm just applying the way i handwrite to the way i type. it's got nothing to do with easier, quicker, or anything. i have private motives which i shan't divulge here. a very very old story, more than 25 years old, that is, 20 years before i even had a keyboard. geeeeeeeeez.

end of discussion as far as i'm concerned. :thumbsdown:

ps cuchu, i only know his name and never read anything from him. encore une lacune à combler ! :eek:

11. Sharon

Sharon Senior Member

United States, English
    Fetchez,

That was not directed at you, and as far as I am concerned, there is no personal animosity. That was exactly my point when I said, "I don't care who you are!" :( I did not mean for you to read that as "Fetchez, who do you think you are?" No, no...that is not what I meant. To me, "who do you think you are" is more closely related to "who are you trying to be."

I am a little vehement towards native speakers that answer questions with no regard to rules of spelling or punctuation. That was the point I was trying to make. Then, too, when we are asked a question by someone who chooses not to, I have to deliberate with myself. Should I correct that? Should I not correct that? If I do not correct that, and someone else reads it that way, and learns it that way, am I not doing a disservice to several people?

I'm sorry I was misunderstood.
    Sharon.

12. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    I understood Sharon's post to be a general distaste for not capitalizing. I don't believe she was directing it to anyone personally. This seems to be an unfortunate misunderstanding that I hope will be soon forgotten, right? I happen to share the same sentiments and I am not directing this to anyone, either. It is unfortunate that Fechez has taken this personally. I will personally vouch for Sharon's integrity. Shall we be friends? :)