Beats a sharp stick in the eye

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by jeslil7, Jul 2, 2011.

1. jeslil7 New Member

Spanish, Chile
    Beats a sharp stick in the eye.

The scene is like this: A boy with a broken leg, sits in a restaurant. The waitress approaches and greets him
    How's that leg today, Tommy?

And he answare:
    Beats a sharp stick in the eye.

What is this means?. I understand the words, but not the meaning. And if you could tell the meaning in spanish I will be most grateful.
    Thank you.

2. St. Nick Senior Member

English
    Hi

It beats: es mucho mejor que ....

It means that suffering a broken leg is not as bad as suffering a puncture wound in the eye from a sharp stick.

There is a similar expression used to apply irony in other contexts. For instance, you are expecting a $500.00 Christmas bonus at your job, but the boss gives you a $10.00 gift certificate to spend at Walmart instead. So, trying to cheer yourself up, you say to your wife, "Well, it beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick," which means, 'It's better than nothing' or 'Things could be worse' 'Hay cosas peores.'

I don't know why it is used in your scenario. Maybe the author is finds humor in the way kids misinterpret certain expressions.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  3. jeslil7 New Member

Spanish, Chile
    WOW Thank you so much ST. Nick. I really apreciate this help. :D
    You make my day.

4. St. Nick Senior Member

English
    :rolleyes: