1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

beautiful moon light

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by daniluna, Jun 13, 2006.

1. daniluna

daniluna New Member

Austin, Texas
    English USA
    hello,
    I was wondering if the phrase “beautiful moon light” could be said “bella luna luce” and would be correct? Would della or di would have to be in there as well such as “bella luce della luna” or “bella luce di luna”. Also, what is the difference between della and di? I could be way off! Thanks for your help!

2. danalto

danalto Senior Member

Roma, Italia, Europa
    Italy - Italian
    Hi, daniluna, welcome to the WR Forums!
    moon light is chiaro di luna. So it would be bel chiaro di luna. But it doesn't make any sense like this...more context would help. :)

3. daniluna

daniluna New Member

Austin, Texas
    English USA
    Thank you!
    would bella luna luce make sense? or is that just straight translation of the 3 words put together?
    this is for a name of something, so i guess it doesnt really need to be correct, but i would like it to be as correct as possible.

4. Saoul

Saoul Senior Member

Milan
    Italian
    Ciao Daniluna,

stick to Daniela's translation.
    As you said, your version is simply the straight translation of the 3 words put toghether.
    Daniela's instead is the actual meaning of the phrase.

Since it is just a name of something, I guess that "bel chiaro di luna" will be quite enough.

5. daniluna

daniluna New Member

Austin, Texas
    English USA
    thank you!
    i was wondering what the difference between della and di was.
    also, when i type moon light into a webtranslator, it translates into luce della luna...
    and when i type in chiaro it translates into clearly. i am sure you both know the language more than the web translators! i am just curious...
    thanks for all your help!

6. danalto

danalto Senior Member

Roma, Italia, Europa
    Italy - Italian
    dani, try with moolight and you'll find chiaro di luna! ;)

7. Saoul

Saoul Senior Member

Milan
    Italian
    Ciao Daniluna,

please have a quick look at the rules of the forum. You'll find we are required to use the correct capitalization and punctuation. (Beware the mods, they are quite strict about this).
    Concerning your question, I think that web translators are absolutley unreliable. As you know, language is not a matter of word to word, and two languages aren't likely to be parallel.
    Chiaro in Italian means both clear, bright, pale... but moonlight is al chiaro di luna, meaning at the bright light of the moon.
    We're romantic people, here! Everything having a bit of moon, and a bit of sea, is worth a very poetic expression!

8. daniluna

daniluna New Member

Austin, Texas
    English USA
    ahhh, that does not translate! it just comes up "moonlight". I have put other words in there that cannot translate and they come back the same word in english.
    so moonlight in Italian is chiaro di luna?
    luce della luna would be light of the moon, right?
    is there a slang for moonlight? or another way to say beautiful moonlight?
    does bella luna luce just sound like a jumble of words that have no association with one another?
    thanks for all your help!

9. Cloudy-aw

Cloudy-aw Senior Member

Milano
    Italy, Italian
    All this makes me think of the movie "Moonstruck", when the old man keeps praising to the moon with
    "Ah la luna, la bella luna ! The moon brings the woman to the man, capisc ?"

Yes, as said in other posts, "bella luna luce" is just a jumble of words that doesn't make sense.
    "Luce della luna" means light of/from the moon, but it doesn't sound romantic.
    If you're looking for a romantic way to call it, go for "Chiaro di luna", as first suggested by danalto.

10. daniluna

daniluna New Member

Austin, Texas
    English USA
    Thank you all for your help!
    So if I wanted to say Beautiful Moonlight, it would be "Bel chiaro di luna"?
    For example, the beautiful moonlight lit his face.

11. danalto

danalto Senior Member

Roma, Italia, Europa
    Italy - Italian
    Yes, but I still don't like the sentence itself!:)

12. daniluna

daniluna New Member

Austin, Texas
    English USA
    How would you say it?

13. primo_cerchio Senior Member

Ivrea
    Italian Italy
    Web translators are rubbish of course.