beck and call

Discussion in 'English Only' started by christyox, Feb 8, 2005.

1. christyox New Member

I called a friends phone to come over and stay with me for sometime,suddenly she started fussing that i always think she's on my beck and call.
    plz what does it mean to be at someone's beck and call
  2. christyox New Member

what does it mean to be at someone's beck and call
  3. christyox New Member

plz can anyone tell me what it means to be at someone's beck and call?
  4. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    It means to be available at any given time.
    Your friend doesn't want you to think that she is available every time that you call her, or beckon for her. Hope this helps. :)
  5. Sharon

Sharon Senior Member

United States, English
    Oh, it's so ironic, I have to say something!! Christyox, I have read three of your threads now, and you post a question, wait maybe ten minutes, and then demand that someone come answer you.

In the one about "You didn't say Hi this morning" you DEMANDED in capital letters. Read these first two posts, knowing they are only five minutes apart...

In this thread, you posted at 11:22, 11:23, and 11:24.

These are all prime examples of thinking someone is at your beck and call.

6. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    Thanks Sharon!

Please understand, Christyox, that these forums are not interactive chat rooms. Many people may read your posts, and not reply because (1) they don't know the answer to your question, or (2)they just don't want to.
    Please allow time for people to respond.

Thank you,
  7. roxy

roxy Junior Member

Ireland, English and Irish
    I was going to say the very same thing but i didn't want to make any emenies at this earlier stages of my career on these forums. ;)

I hope Christyox does gain something from each of these posts, though.
  8. YARTES Junior Member

you can find the definition of "Beck and Call" from itself.

= Estar a la entera disposición de alguien.
  9. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    Hi Yartes, and Welcome to the Forums. You are absolutely right about finding the answer in the WR dictionary. Please understand, however, that christyox is posting in the ENGLISH ONLY forums. As such, please post your answer in English, as not everyone who participates in English Only speaks spanish.

You are welcome to post any translations or great dictionary finds in the Spanish-English forum, in which I hope you'll also participate. :)
  10. JazzByChas

JazzByChas Senior Member

Houston, TX USA
    American English
    I should also add, (and this is one of my pet peeves:mad: ) that since this comes from being available when someone beckons (summons) you, it should be, "Be At one's beckon call" (at least originally), i.e to be available when one summons you with a call...

beckon (Merriam Webster) to summon or signal typically with a wave or nod

[EDIT: Although I have since learned that beckon is actually considered archaic...I must be really old!:D )

11. E-J

E-J Senior Member

Cambridgeshire, UK
    England, English
    Hello Chas

According to, 'beck' means "a gesture of beckoning or summons".
  12. JazzByChas

JazzByChas Senior Member

Houston, TX USA
    American English
    Yes...hence my edit...

And it seems to me, "beck and call" is sort of redundant...what does everyone think? (Panjandrum?)

13. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

English (England)
    Yes, I agree Panjandrum is redundant.

Oh I see! You're asking what we and he might think -

Ok, yes I agree it is tautological. However such double adjectives are quite common in English - cough and splutter, over and above, private and confidential and tonnes more that don't spring to mind. I think there may have been a thread on this once.

Just a common stylistic device I'd say.

Thanks and regards, love and kisses (well same kind of idea;) )

14. E-J

E-J Senior Member

Cambridgeshire, UK
    England, English
    Well, it seems to me that beck is more of a gesture, while call refers to the vocal aspect - so it's a nicely audio-visual impression of someone who's demanding attention :)
  15. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    A beck is a signal or gesture indicating assent or a command - a nod, or a motion of the hand or finger - and hence, the slightest indication of will, command, order, control.

It is a later version of beckon - but later only in the relative sense. Beckon is listed from 950, beck from 1375:)

... from OED.