1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

before she would fly back / before she flew back

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by tonguingaround, Jul 28, 2013.

1. tonguingaround Senior Member

Spanish Argentina
    Hola
    Que tal ? Queria saber si el "would" está bien usado en esta oración.

We both knew her stay in my country had a deadline so we felt this strong desire to make the most of our time together before she would fly back to France

Con "
    before she would fly" quiero decir "antes de que regresara o regresase". Es correcto el "would" ? o es mejor "before she flew back ..." ?

Muchas Gracias

2. abb1025

abb1025 Senior Member

USA
    English USA
    Before she flew back is correct. Before she had to fly back conveys some of the flavor of the Spanish subjunctive.

3. tonguingaround Senior Member

Spanish Argentina
    Muchas Gracias, pero una pregunta, puede ser que a veces, incluso los "native speakers" usen en este caso el "would" aunque sea incorrecto ? Como ocurre a veces con:
    I wish I had been there (correct) que los mismos nativos lo reemplazan con "I wish I would have been there" (incorrect)

Gracias

4. abb1025

abb1025 Senior Member

USA
    English USA
    I could imagine someone saying, "We both knew her stay in my country had a deadline so we felt this strong desire to make the most of our time together before she would fly back to France," but where I live don't remember ever hearing would used that way.

The other example ( "I wish I would have been there") is very commonly used, maybe more than the "correct" version.

Cheers.