being spoiled

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ulkrhsn, Dec 2, 2006.

1. ulkrhsn New Member

I was trying to figure out what 'being spoiled' exactly means.What does someone mean when he says that he's spoiled by something?
  2. bouncy.bouncy Senior Member

WA, USA
    American/British English
    It means other people are doing too much for him, or, he gets too many luxuries.
  3. mjscott Senior Member

It means that he has been treated luxuriously.
    If you have a housekeeper who washes and irons your shirts, cleans your house and makes sure you have fresh sheets on the bed each week, then you are out on a jungle safari without your housekeeper, you might say that you were spoiled by your surroundings at home.

Being spoiled is also a term used for an indulgent child, whose parents give him everything--including the liberty to the whim of each emotion passing through his head. Such a child--who has never learned to control his own emotions--will stand out as immature when his whims chide against the rein of self-control or acceptable societal norms.

You can also say in a complementary way, "You are spoiling me!"--when someone is treating you extremely well.

Oh, by the way ulkrhsn, Welcome to the forum!
  4. Tayllc

Tayllc Senior Member

USA, CA
    USA English
    1. After a nice gesutre or gift one my say: "Oh Sally, you are just spoiling me!" This means, Sally really didn't neet to get me a gift, she is just too nice and generous.

2. Also one might say: "Katie's parents are really spoiling her, she is turing into a brat!" Often when parents spoil a child it means that they are sort of weak parents that give thier kid whatever they want: candy, gifts, ect. If you are a spoiled chid you are often though as unappreciative of what you are given and a brat

I hope this helps!
  5. ulkrhsn New Member

wow it was very helpful..thanks a lot :eek:
  6. Brillo New Member

Monterrey, Nuevo Leon
    Spanish, Mexico
    Hello , thanks for your explanation, it is really clear.

Have a good day,

7. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

Just a note... the child is indulged, the parents are indulgent. :)
  8. Brillo New Member

Monterrey, Nuevo Leon
    Spanish, Mexico
    Thank you

Have a good day!