1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

beleiszom

Discussion in 'Magyar (Hungarian)' started by NagyKiss, Jun 14, 2013.

1. NagyKiss Senior Member

This is an excerpt from a song, I have trouble translating certain parts, please help me.
    "Nem látom tisztán a holnapot,
    Lehet, hogy ebbe én ma még belehalok.
    Félig telt poharak az asztalon,
    Ha úgy tartja kedvem, néha beleiszom."

What does "ebbe" relate to? What does it mean here?

"Ha úgy tartja kedvem" - "if I feel like"?
    "beleiszom" - to finish the drink???

My version:
    "I don't see tomorrow clearly,
    Maybe I'll die today.
    Half full glass is on the table,
    If I feel like it, I sometimes finish it."

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  2. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    "Belehalni valamibe" means approximately "to die of something".
    "ebbe belehalok" could be I'll die of this, where "this" refers to what has been told before (i.e. that situation).

"beleinni" - literally "to drink into" (in the same way as "beleharapni" means "to bite into")
    So "beleiszom a pohárba" means approximately "I drink a bit of/from the glass"

For "ha úgy tartja kedvem" I suggest you to open a new thread (let's not discuss very different things in the same thread).

3. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Francis gave you the meanings, I can add just a bit of grammar and usage info.

Ebbe (word by word into this) comes from ez (this) + be (into) -> the final z of ez becomes a b (= like the first letter of the suffix) when the suffix joins the word.
    It is special to the demonstratives (so to az as well) because nouns ending in z don't do this when this suffix joins them (e.g. házban, kézben stb.).
    In your example, it is the set phrase that demands a different expression in English so it shouldn't give the impression that the suffix -ba, -be is equivalent of of.

For the first part it could give this:
    "I can't see tomorrow clearly,
    It is possible that I'll die of it today."

For the second part, just a bit of a correction again:
    /There are/ Half full glasses on the table,
    If I feel like it, I sometimes drink from them."

There is a little twist here because in English you are obliged to use the plural but in reality it could be either just your glass or some (another each time) of those on the table. (For me it would be more logical that our man should just drink only from his own every time. But that is not the only possibility.)
    You can also use it like this (not used in this sense here):
    Jancsi beleivott a poharamba, ezért én abból már nem iszom. ->Johnny has drunk from my glass so I'm not going to drink from it again.

However, the same verb can also indicate drinking a bit from the liquid (that is in the glass in our case): if you beleiszol a borba, it means that you have a little wine (maybe just a sip), if you wanted a taste of it, you would use the same verb, too. In the poem this is the other alternative for the usage of the verb.

In any case, beleiszik cannot mean finish (drinking), on the contrary: just to have a little of it (a sip or a taste).

Tartja kedvem is a set phrase with the meaning you gave.
    :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013