believe

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by KaterinaWard, Apr 3, 2013.

1. KaterinaWard Junior Member

Thessaloniki
    English (UK)
    Hi, I'm having troubles with my grammar here. Can someone tell me if this is correct?
    Παραδοσιακά μια συντηρητική χώρα, η μεσαία τάξη τώρα τείνει προς την αριστερά στην οποία πιστεύουν ότι θα προστατεύσει τα συμφέροντα των μεσαίων τάξεων.
    I am going for - who they feel will protect the interests...

2. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    Greek
    "... η μεσαία τάξη τώρα τείνει προς την αριστερά, γιατί/που πιστεύει ότι θα προστατεύσει τα συμφέροντά της." The part in red seems out of place there.

3. hatzi13 Senior Member

greece/greek
    Suggestion:
    Αν και παραδοσιακά συντηρητική χώρα, η μεσαία τάξη της τείνει τώρα προς την αριστερά στην οποία πιστεύει ότι θα προασπίσει τα συμφέροντά της.
    I hope I understood what you want to say.

4. Αγγελος Senior Member

Greek
    No; definitely with a nominative, η οποία πιστεύει ότι θα προασπίσει τα συμφέροντά της. [ or, of course, που πιστεύει ότι...]
    In English, too, you would use the nominaative: "who [not 'whom' or 'in whom'!] they believe will defend their interests."

5. sotos Senior Member

Greek
    The correct syntax is " ... η οποία πιστεύουν ότι θα προστατεύσει ...". i.e. η αριστερά θα προστατεύσει, not στην αριστερά θα προστατεύσει.
    This "Αν και παραδοσιακά συντηρητική χώρα" is OK if the previous sentence refers to the χώρα and, preferably, has the name of the country last in the sentence.

6. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    Αγγελε, doesn't that make for ambiguity with " η μεσαία ταξη τείνει προς την αριστερά η οποία πιστεύει ότι θα προασπίσει ... " ? It seems to me that at first glance it would be read as " η αριστερά πιστεύει ". Please tell me whether a native speaker would also stumble over this.

7. Tassos

Tassos Senior Member

Yes it might be read the way you say and yes a native speaker could be confused (still I guess the first reaction would be to assume that "η μεσαία τάξη πιστεύει" and not "η αριστερά πιστεύει"). To resolve any ambiguity you can say:
    "η μεσαία τάξη της τείνει τώρα προς την αριστερά για την οποία πιστεύει ότι θα προασπίσει τα συμφέροντά της."

And Perseas and Sotos are right. The first part of the sentence seems disconnected from the second however you word it.

8. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    Greek
    Considering velisarius' query:

Ιn the oral speech we may use/tolerate such syntactic choices, but otherwise this one seems to be unusual or even not idiomatic. I 'm referring to this:... η μεσαία τάξη τώρα τείνει προς την αριστερά, η οποία or που πιστεύει ότι θα προστατεύσει τα συμφέροντά της.

-If we consider "η οποία πιστεύει" as the relative clause, then πιστεύει:verb; η μεσαία τάξη: subject; η οποία plays what role in this clause? In other words it is very unusual to have 2 nominatives there.
    -If we consider "η οποία θα προστατεύσει τα συμφέροντά της" as the relative clause, then this is idiomatic. However there is also a "πιστεύει ότι" inside. Could we assume that it is parenthetical: "η οποία (πιστεύει ότι) θα προστατεύσει τα συμφέροντά της" ? We still have a problem here: "ότι θα προστατεύσει τα συμφέροντά της" is a subordinate noun clause (ειδική πρόταση), which functions as object to "πιστεύει", which is surrounded by 2 nominatives (η οποία, η μεσαία τάξη).

I find Tassos' suggestion very good: "για την οποία πιστεύει ότι θα προασπίσει τα συμφέροντά της."

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  9. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    Thanks Tassos and Perseas for clearing that up.