Belleville me sort par les yeux

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by melle, Jun 6, 2009.

1. melle New Member

English - Australia
    Hi all,
    I'm wondering if I've heard correctly in the early scenes of La mome when Edith says 'Belleville me sort par les yeux'.
    If so, does this mean something like 'I've had enough of Belleville'? I'd love some explanation on this one!
    Thanks a lot

2. frenchlady

frenchlady Senior Member

France
    French- France
    sortir par les yeux = ne plus supporter de voir quelquechose

Belleville me sort par les yeux : je ne supporte plus Belleville, je ne plus voir Belleville

3. melle New Member

English - Australia
    Merci Frenchlady,
    c'est bien ce que je pensais.

4. mgarizona

mgarizona Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
    Consider the relationship, often unnoticed, between saying "I've had it up to here with XXX" and more physical phrases like "I've had my fill of XXX" or "I've had all I can stomach of XXX." The same eating analogy is at work, that's why the gesture that accompanies "had it up to here" always indicates a point above the mouth: no more can be ingested. The French idiom just shifts things a little higher still. So much has been ingested that it's spilling out of one's eyes.

(Come to think of it, "I can't take anymore" probably operates on the same paradigm.)

5. xtrasystole

xtrasystole Senior Member

France
    Hello mgarizona,

I find your excellent remark also consistent with the vulgar version 'sortir par tous les trous'.

'Belleville me sort par tous les trous !'

'Edith a dit que Belleville lui sort par tous les trous'