Bells on bobtails ring

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Hani_D, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Hani_D Banned

Hello English speaking people,

What does that exactly mean?

Also, I would like to know what a one-horse sleigh is. Is it just a sleigh dragged by one horse?

Many thanks,
  2. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    A one-horse sleigh is, indeed, a sleigh dragged by one horse. Since it is a sleigh, it can only be dragged when there's snow on the ground.

Horses often have their tails "bobbed". This generally just means that the horse's tail is folded up and tied (like an old lady's bun - sort of) to make it look shorter and get it out of the way. If you put bells on a horse's bobbed tail, they will ring as the horse moves.
  3. tinlizzy

tinlizzy Senior Member

USA - English

It's not even Halloween yet and you're starting on Christmas!:D

Yes, a one horse sleigh is a sleigh pulled with one horse. I would also like to know what bells on bobtails are! I'll wait for an answer with you. :)

Ohh, thank you DIMCL.
  4. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
  5. Hani_D Banned

Dimcl, your reply was very sufficient. Thank you.

tinlizzy, I would love if there were songs for Halloween too. American Christmas songs are just fascinating. (On the assumption that they are all American, the famous ones I mean).
  6. Hani_D Banned

Thank you bibliolept
  7. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Just in case you missed it, there is a link at the end of the WordReference dictionary entry (bibliolept in post #4) that explains bobtail.