beloved, sweetheart, darling...

Discussion in 'Română (Romanian)' started by styrofoam13, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. styrofoam13 New Member

US- English
    Hello everyone!
    I am looking for commonly used terms of endearment in Romanian. I have not had much luck so far in my search on the internet, so I would appreciate your help very much!
    Thank you!
  2. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

Hi, welcome to the WR forums (and especially to the Romanian one :D)

I would appreciate some information. Endearment... please expand. Is this...

from a mother to her child.
    boyfriend to girlfriend
    best friends in kindergarten
    ... (you get my point)

Also, maybe you could think of the word that you'd like an approximate translation of. That would make it so much easier for us to help (and will ensure you get what you want, not a list of useless terms that we worked hard to compile :):D)
  3. styrofoam13 New Member

US- English
    Thank you for your quick reply and welcome!

I am specifically looking for words of affection used between lovers, such as: beloved, sweetheart, darling...

Also, are there any common terms used by Romanians? I am writing a charecter into a story and want to make sure he does not say anything that would not be commonplace for a Romanian man. :)

Thanks again for all of your help!
  4. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

Lemme see...

Iubire (love), iubito (beloved), iubita mea (my beloved), scumpo/scumpete (dear, darling), scumpa mea (my darling), dragă (honey).

If you need to know exactly how to use them, we might require some context.

All the best :)
  5. Elena Tanasie New Member

I learned one term of endearment in romanian. I dont know if the spelling is right, but it is:

Pronounced like:

hope that helps!
  6. LucianU Junior Member

Hi, Elena.

Actually, the word is "puiule." Romanian very rarely uses "y."
  7. Spacecrime New Member

English - American

I am also looking for a Romanian term of endearment. I am looking for a word that is the Romanian equivalent of "Babe." Not in an insulting manner, but not mushy.

"Hello, babe," said with warmth, sincerely.

"Babe." Said when his woman friend does something unexpected.

8. farscape mod-errare humanum est

Ottawa, Canada
    The use of generic appellatives such as "babe" is not common in Romanian. I'd say it it depends on the context and the type of relationship and varies from individual to individual. The intonation matters a lot ;)

If you are on a first name basis (per tu in Romanian) with her, you could use dragă followed by her name (dragă Maria), but a sure bet is to use just her name: this already implies a certain degree of familiarity w/o intimacy though. I suppose you know that there are three forms one can use when addressing another person: one very formal, another semiformal and a casual one. Calling someone by their first name means you are in the latter case.

I don't think this helps much, but for lack of better suggestions (all depending on the actual context and people) I'd say play it safe and stick with the first name.

9. LucianU Junior Member

I agree with farscape. If you want to imply warmth, the best solution is to simply use her name.
    The best option for you would be to give us some phrases with these words. That way we could give you the appropriate words for the context, and then you could extrapolate.
  10. Flutterflyfairy

Flutterflyfairy New Member

Can you give me some terms of endearment that a father would use for his daughter and his son? Almost like pet names or nicknames. Thank you! ;)
  11. farscape mod-errare humanum est

Ottawa, Canada
    A few generic suggestions; there are more, but the context is key.

(my) dear:
    - dragule, dragul meu (m)
    - dragă, draga mea (f)

daddy's darling:
    - dragul tatei (m)
    - draga tatei (f)

(little) chick:
    - pui (mic) (f/m)

colt (m): mânzule
    doll (f): păpuşă

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.